What xt kit have i bought :oops:

I was mis-sold a chain a while ago, and it caused massive problems. Admittedly it was the other way round. 9 speed chain on an 8 speed crank, and it made the most awful noise. Cassette seemed fine, and rear mech seemed fine too, but chain rings on cranks not happy at all.

I would assume from my experience that you really want to run a chain that matches the rings on the crank, but not an expert.

Tim

development_cycle":3e6tnlh4 said:
I was mis-sold a chain a while ago, and it caused massive problems. Admittedly it was the other way round. 9 speed chain on an 8 speed crank, and it made the most awful noise. Cassette seemed fine, and rear mech seemed fine too, but chain rings on cranks not happy at all.

I would assume from my experience that you really want to run a chain that matches the rings on the crank, but not an expert.

Tim

9speed chains are narrower than 8spd chains hence likely to cause problems on the somewhat thicker 8speed rings and cogs. 8speed chain on 9speed chain ring might be a bit loose but will work.

and yes, those are XT 8speed derailleurs. m737-740 (stamped on the back of the ders). the rear one has the middle length cage so you dont want to run a 34t rear cog with it.

cheers, carsten

computerbitz":7vydkiz4 said:
cce":7vydkiz4 said:
those are 9-speed cranks. the rest is M737 8speed by the looks of it, and tasty kit it is too.

Well where does that leave me on the other post i made over chain would i need a 8 speed or 9 speed chain given that its a 9 speed crank if i am restricted to 9 speed then so be it but i really wont use the extra gears right away as its generally a lets get fit bike, and eventually venture into something more, i will be fitting a 737 8 speed cassette to wheels if thats fine and will work with the crank

That kit will work fine with either 8 or 9 speed, but if you've already got an 8-speed cassette, you obviously need 8-speed shifters and it won't work unless you have the appropriate chain for the shifter/cassette. I am pretty sure the cranks aren't an issue, as Shimano still make all the parts that are essential - i.e., 7 and 8 speed cassettes, shifters and chains, but I'm pretty sure they explicitly said there was no need to continue to make 7/8 speed cranks, because the new ones were fine with an 8-speed system.

The main argument for going to 9-speed is not that 9-speed is better, because I don't think most users find that, but that 8-speed parts are getting harder to find, although my guess is that at least the lower grades of them will always be available (as 7-speed is now)

Back