Slingshot

rumpfy":1zvaw0yt said:
My understanding is that the boards are epoxied and bolted in place. Bolts are probably more of a backup safety feature if the epoxy should give way...which I would think is unlikely.

What I remember from the early Slingshot website, they offered a respray only option. The board replacement required a respray automatically.
Not surprising since I'm sure they'd have to use a lot of heat to get that board out...paint would be a loss.

i am able to get these out with low heat and tons of elbow :roll:

Scott Q's re-fabs are a less expensive and you get paint. Apparently extra boards as well. He is either giving this away or has better resources, either way i am glad he was able to help. We are not doing paint as we Cannot.

We offer board replacement and cable if necessary. Its $250 US. You pay Shipping. let the price bashing ensue but this is our offer and i challenge people to find a company willing to step up and work with a 10 plus year old product.

Besides we are very busy selling our "souless Chinese piles". ;)
The newer bikes are outsourced but feature newer easy to replace boards that increase the torsional stiffness.

I am glad to find and meet the retro Slingshot crowd. if any one is interested we have a ton of old Slingshots, all tend to be the 650 variety, one inch steerer.
pm me or jason at slingshotbikes dot com

Cheers.

pete_mcc":39gjbn3h said:
I think they are all glued in in some fashion, although it may be different with the folding slingshots. I know that mine is epoxied in heavily, but that said I've seen pictures of people replacing the boards with all manner of stuff when slingshot weren't repairing old frames (metal leaf springs, carbon fibre, bamboo....). They'll probably be tell tale signs of epoxy on the board when you get it or remove the bolts and look down the bolt holes and you'll probably see it. It looks to me that the bolt holes are drilled into the board after the board is fitted and the bike aligned, rather than before, although I can't see why, if that's the case, you can't replace the old board in the same place using the bolt holes as the alignment?

don't do that. the bolt holes are not always in alignment. it would depend on the angle they were welded to the seat tube and or boom tube. i have seen many older bikes where people did this and low and behold the bike rides crooked.

not that i'd recommend this but you could crudley re align the bb and seat tube with the headtube. this again is crude. but effective for a back yard mechanic when dealing with aligning these older bikes. just for the record Slingshot will not give you extra boards---lovely liability issues with the sue happy america :roll: sorry.

Thanks for the advice, far better that people take advice from someone at the source than someone like me who can use an adjustable spanner to fix all ills! I take it that those 650 frames are triathalon oriented ones, or just roadie frame suitable for short-arses like me?

Oh yea! Finished the bike last night and just had to ride it into work this morning. Rides great, few odd noises and some ghost shifting to iron out.
But what a blast.

Attachments

• Floyd Sling.jpg
    Floyd Sling.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 2,183
  • Ben-n-Sling.jpg
    Ben-n-Sling.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 2,183
  • SohoSling.jpg
    SohoSling.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 2,183
Superb, get it in BOTM - it'll get my vote! And that Roo bar looks fantastic on there, just as quirky as the rest of it

very :cool: ken my man, very :cool: indeed

BTW - how many weird looks did you get photographing your bike in rush hour in the middle of London ??

Cheers. Yea got a few. However the Cyclist lying face down burbbling into a pool of blood was getting most of the attention today.
Oooo that looked bad.

Was going to ask the same thing, and if someone from Slingshot is asking then slap a patent on it quick before you find it on their entire 2008 range ;)

Back