2009 Jeff Jones 3D Spaceframe Ti

saltyman":a8duhab3 said:
JamesMatlock":a8duhab3 said:
Awesome bike, in every way!

Just been reading the same thread on MTBR.

Whats with all the hate over there? Idiots.

yeah, this is the only website where its gets real praise.

bike radar and mtbr can get a little heated, there like a bunch of kids in the school ground some of them.

Oh that is a bunch of horse pooh. The Jones bikes get praised on all the forums, MTBR, by far more than here (most UK owners discuss their bikes on MTBR, and not on Retro).
(Read this 1 first)
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p ... 8#poststop
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t ... jeff+jones

And reading through the Salty's posts, I did not find any hate mail. It is only that Salty, for most part, tried to impress the crowd with sticker price of the rig (on all of the forums), insted of the usual bike blah every1 wants to know. Note that none of the others owners ever mentioned or talked about it, understanding that if any1 wants to know the cost, they know where Jeff Jones hides.
As for the hate mail, I dont remember getting any, and I think I was the first to post Jones Spaceframe on RetroBike.

i never boasted about the cost, people had asked how much it was and were giving me all sorts of rubbish when i told them.

it makes me look like i buy bikes just to have the most expensive, there childish comments on that and other sites was unreal.

i ride alone 99% of the time, so have nothing to gloat about, i simply love my bikes, and always have done like most of us.

mainly it was the fact people cant understand people still buy and can ride rigid bikes, most of them are bike snobs who stick two fingers up at builders who try to get there more interesting builds out to smaller numbers of enthusiasts.

You seem to have an issue with Salty and his money. Enough for you to stalk forum to forum correcting him. Strange!

Best thing would be for you to start a thread about your Jones Spaceframe and we can talk about yours instead?

What I don't understand is the people who post only negative comments. I'd never post how I hated a owners bike, or how that person has wasted so much cash or the build is wrong etc.

mbkot":2elcf9j2 said:
JamesMatlock":2elcf9j2 said:
You seem to have an issue with Salty and his money. Enough for you to stalk forum to forum correcting him. Strange!

Best thing would be for you to start a thread about your Jones Spaceframe and we can talk about yours instead?

Please, go ahead:
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=96424

Well done. It's lovely. With such a lovely bike your grumpyness surprises me!

Mbkot's jones is awesome, won't get any negative comments like mine I bet, I'm not saying any more on the matter as I don't want my thread to be ruined like on other forums

What I'm a bit confused about is why all the ones I have seen have had an almost identical spec. With those mad looking H bars. I would be tempted with some natty carbon flats. I think carbon finishing kit would set it off a treat! I'm gonna get lynched for that aren't I?

JamesMatlock":6jv45pfp said:
What I'm a bit confused about is why all the ones I have seen have had an almost identical spec. With those mad looking H bars. I would be tempted with some natty carbon flats. I think carbon finishing kit would set it off a treat! I'm gonna get lynched for that aren't I?

Look guys, first of all there is no grumpiness on my part, especially toward the bike, and the money Salty spent on it. And none really at Salty. From the beginning I was there to answer his questions as much as I could. Its just that talking about its cost again and again, I think its not really cool, it also dont do anything for the bike.
If I expressed any criticism (to you, and to your critics), I would hope it was constructive. I dont care what you do with your money. There are many different ppl on these forums, some have a great knowledge of bikes, some dont. Many ppl criticize the Jones Spaceframe, without actually taking time to study the concept, engineering and the philosophy behind it. Everybody knows its a costly bike, but many dont understand why. A few month ago I asked for a quote on frame set of a Reynolds Ti tubing, this stuff is costly (its sold in sets), and for a frame such as the Spaceframe it would not be a standard set. But that is just a start, there is much more to the frame than initially can be seen. Many compare this to other Ti frames that are bent and manipulated, but that is not a fair comparison. Every part of the frame was well thought out, tested, and retested before it was made into what it is today. Its all there for a reason, every bent is functional, not esthetics.
That is why most of the specs/setups are very similar, there is a limit to customization, and there are reasons. Sure you can put some things on it, but it can also defeat the purpose of the concept you are buying into.
To answer your question re flats vs h-bar, I would say that the h-bar works with the angle of your wrist, and
an overall sitting position that is different on this bike. As for carbon, well, a Ti frame is just "natural" with a Ti bar, its my way of looking at this. But Jeff may have other reasons.
Cheers

I really like the fact its so well thought out, and that there are very few things to change. So other than saddle and peddles most people have a very smilar spec. Thats awesome.

How many Spaceframe owners are on here?

Back