Pete Matthews bike - help needed!

majoreyeswater

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hello all.

Pete Matthews road bike

Just thought that i'd post some pics of a very recent purchase and ask for some help and advice! I'm a bit in the dark when it comes to road bikes so not really sure how to proceed. Any comments gratefully received people.

Picked this Pete Matthews bike up two days ago from a chap who'd had it for quite a while. It had been made for a previous owner to their spec and had been well used.

As you can see the frame is Reynolds 753 tubing. Pete Matthews Pianni wheels with Hope hubs and bladed spokes. Shimano 600 groupset (apart from a Sora rear mech!). Black 3TTT stem, LX headset and Italmanurri (?) bars. Continental Giro tyres which have seen better days! The pedals are crappy plastic ones because the bike was used purely for pottering around on in later years. I think it's got a Kore seatpost but the logo is very worn.

On closer inspection the frame has got some paint wear and a few nicks here and there but is a nice red with a subtle metallic flake. Frame measures approx 21" from bb to top of the seat tube.

I don't know what to do with the bike as yet. I may strip the frame and sell parts off to fund a better groupset. A re-paint is out of the question at the moment due to a lack of funds so a good polish will have to do for now!

PA190001.jpg
+
PA190002.jpg

PA190003.jpg

PA190004.jpg

PA190005.jpg

PA190006.jpg

PA190007.jpg

PA190008.jpg

PA190009.jpg

PA190010.jpg

PA190011.jpg

PA190013.jpg

PA190014.jpg

PA190015.jpg

PA190016.jpg

PA190018.jpg

PA190019.jpg

PA190020.jpg

PA190021.jpg

PA190022.jpg

I've no idea of the year so help needed there. Also any info regarding the frame would be nice. Basically all input gratefully received and i'll see where it all takes the project.

Steve.

I think it looks rather nice. Is it all working now? My advice would be to change the saddle for something lighter and more comfy, and ride it for a couple of months to see if you get on with it - then consider upgrades :)

Probably mid nineties when 753 was still the top tubeset from Reynolds. Assuming the cable guide rings on the head tube are original, the frame was presumably built for STI levers. All the parts (barring that Sora rear mech) would fit a circa 1995 date.

Interesting bottom bracket shell.

http://www.longshen.com.tw/products_vie ... 0606150006

The bars are Italmanubri - AKA ITM.

I wouldn't be in a hurry to change too much. A nice Flite saddle would suit it, and you should be able to find a matching 6402 rear mech without too much trouble. If it were mine, I might consider a more robust set of wheels for everyday use. An old tip for touching up red metallics is to look for a matching shade of nail polish!

I can't see why you would want to change much - the wheels, chainset, brakes, shifters and bottom bracket are all good stuff. Swap out the rear mech and that ghastly saddle and go riding! :cool:

Car touch-up paint kits should sort out the chips - it looks like a stove enamelled finish. Peugeot / Citroen Dante Red (1997-ish) is close to a very similar metallic red enamel I have.

hamster":153396ee said:
I can't see why you would want to change much - the wheels, chainset, brakes, shifters and bottom bracket are all good stuff. Swap out the rear mech and that ghastly saddle and go riding! :cool:

+1, especially the wheels. Seriously worth hanging on to given Pete's wheelbuilding reputation.

David

Edit: Just noticed the original poster's avatar - excellent choice!! "You see, Paul, choosing an avatar is like choosing a woman - first, take a look at some websites to see which type you prefer...." ;)

Thanks for the feedback folks! Mid 90s ties in to the info provided by the seller.

Day off today so decided to take a long hard look at the bike and think about stripping it back to basics. Crap weather + wife at work + kids at school meant that the kitchen became a temp workshop for the morning!

It's only when you begin to take bits off do you realise the pros and cons of a potential project. Nearly everything was pretty cruddy but all came away fairly easily. Headset practically fell apart when removed and I assume had never been properly serviced. Stem is in good nick as are the bars.

All cables are a bit ropey and one is cut completely through the outer casing so all have been binned. On closer inspection a number of the spokes on the drive side of the rear wheel have been caught by the chain in the past and are slightly out of shape. Rear tyre knackered so chucked also.

Hope bb is stuck fast. Tried to loosen it with a Park pin spanner but it's solid! However, it feels smooth and tight so not too worried. It can stay put.

Frame looks good so washed it and gave it a cursory polish. Much of the surface marks polished out, although there are some paint chips to sort. Thanks hamster for your paint recommendations.

PA210001.jpg

PA210006.jpg

PA210009.jpg

PA210012.jpg

PA210014.jpg

PA210016.jpg

PA210011.jpg

PA210008.jpg

PA210018.jpg

PA210019.jpg

So what next? I've yet to decide on how to proceed with this. I may start sourcing a new groupset (any recommendations?) and sell off the current bits to partly finance that. Don't really like the black stem/bars so they may go also. Shiny bits me thinks will suit the red frame. If I start a full build then i'll start a separate thread elsewhere on the forums.

Cheers again.

Steve.

Anything silver would suit this colour. complete 600 still groupsets come up quite often and look and work excellent.

I'd gladly swap mate but it's 110mm i'm afraid. It's marked 90:11 if that means much.

There are the usual marks due to fitting and the stem bolt is a bit rusty. Also a small nick out of the black paint on the right side of the neck of the stem. Otherwise its in pretty good order. Let me know hamster if you're still interested because I have a set of Cinelli bars that would go with your stem :D

Cheers.

Steve.

Back