Diamondback Apex help

dtmbass

Dirt Disciple
Hi,

I wonder if anyone would be able to help me out with this. I've recently recovered my old Diamondback Apex from my parents' garage after about a four year hiatus. There was some stuff I wondered if anyone knew.

1) What year's model is this? I remember buying it in October 1997 and the price I paid was £499 - had a big discount off it - about £400 if I recall correctly. I wasn't sure of the year as I suppose it could be an earlier year's model discounted.

2) Anyone know the exact spec? It seems to be a mix of STX-RC and LX bits. Only mods I ever made were putting on the bar ends, Crud Catchers, bottle cage and pump and replacing the original tyres which I recall were crap in late autumn mud.

3) My plan is to clean it up nicely and start riding it again. As far as I can see it doesn't really need much done to it. The one thing I would like to do is put on some suspension forks. The frame is quite stretched out - makes for it being quite fast, but not sure the geometry would be very good for a fork with much travel. I quite fancied the Rock Shox Tora 302 which I figured I could keep at the minimum 85mm setting. Would this work? Any other fork suggestions / idea as to what's suitable for this bike.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• DSCN5335.jpg
    DSCN5335.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 4,732
  • DSCN5329.jpg
    DSCN5329.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 4,731
  • DSCN5332.jpg
    DSCN5332.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 4,731
A modern fork will be too long for this frame really and throw the geo out.
Better to stick with a fork with less than 80mm of travel. Manitou SX, RS Judys (pre 2000), Bomber Z3's would suit.

Carl.

I had the SE version of this which came with a Rock Shox indy fork (not great). Rigid rules anyhow I would keep it that way.

Should be a double butted true temper frame with snake stays. 'twas a good ride.

It'd be a 1997 model: Bikepedia has the answers (even if it is the SE version - the graphics are the same). TT-lite tubing is some of the best around and very worthy of much better components should you want to upgrade.

You should be right putting an 80mm (or even 100mm) travel fork on it without throwing the geometry off too much with a bike from year. I've just put a 100mm Manitou R7 on a '94 model Diamond Back Axis that is not 100% finished yet but I've taken it for a few rides and it handles just fine.

BG":33najsla said:
It'd be a 1997 model: Bikepedia has the answers (even if it is the SE version - the graphics are the same). TT-lite tubing is some of the best around and very worthy of much better components should you want to upgrade.
I'd agree with you on the year, but disagree with bikepedia on the tubing (not that it makes a great deal of difference).

Early 90s Apex, AVR tubing, mid 90s (not sure about 93, but certainly 94 and 95) TT-Lite, 96 saw the Apex return to AVR frameset again, and I believe so for the 97 model, too.

Thanks for all this guys. Definitely the TT-Lite tubing - there's a big sticker on the frame saying so. There's definitely some minor differences between the one I've got and the one on Bikepedia.

LX hubs
Selle Italia Expedia saddle
Something called a "System Components" bar
No bar ends (put these on later)

Everything else seems to tie in with it just being a rigid version of the one suggested though.

dtmbass":3hzs4xn4 said:
Thanks for all this guys. Definitely the TT-Lite tubing - there's a big sticker on the frame saying so. There's definitely some minor differences between the one I've got and the one on Bikepedia.
Truth be told, I wasn't properly sure of the tubing of the later (late 90s) Apex - I just knew that the 96 model went back to AVR tubing (still got a 91, 95 and 96 brochure), so I knew bikepedia must be wrong at least about the 96 version.

nice bike , from what i can remember about these , that looks about how it came out the factory (apart seat) , moorelarge unionjack qc sticker put on by yours truley :LOL: , have the same frame in shed and 95 violet blue apex tt-lite complete bike , and topanga frame which im gonna build.

I had a metallic olive green 1996 Topanga which I sold to my brother about 10 years back. It was a lovely colour / finish.

Nice bike indeed!

Yes, it's a 1997 model. I bought mine from new and still use it regularly. At least once a week. It was my first proper bike and the only bike I've ever really loved. I've got bikes that ride better but this is the only one I could never sell.

I can't remember exactly but yours must be pretty close.

Here's what I remember:
Brakes: LX v-brakes
Chainset: STX-RC
Deraileurs: STX-RC
Saddle: Tioga (can't remember the model but it had chamfered rear and nose for ease of getting weight back and climbing on the nose)
Seatpost: Avenir
Rims: ZAC 19
Hubs: STX-RC

I've changed it a lot since i got it. The big difference are that it's got a 90mm stem, 1" riser bars, 100mm RS Recon forks, disc brake on the front, semi slick tyres. I mainly use it for easy cross country rides, as a commuter and just for long country rides with a mix of tacmac, firetrails and smooth single track. The geometry is very different now to when it was new but it's still an engaging ride and I wouldn't say I've "ruined" it. Sure it's not got that edgy, super fast handling as the designers intended but in 13 years I guess I've lost that edgy, keen handling too! It's much more confidence inspiring in the rougher stuff, more predictable and more comfortable.

I know some purists here wouldn't like it but to be honest it's changed with me and when I look back it reminds me of a lot of what I've done since I got it and it's changed with me.

Whatever you do with the bike enjoy it. It's a lovely frame and for me that's the heart of a bike.

Back