Work bikes

Flying Pigeon roadster (some cheap raleigh ripoff from china)

Attachments

• fp1.jpg
    fp1.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 8,369
I really like that Agency, if ever there was a 'Q' bike, then that is surely it. Laughing

Not retro but the 'Bike of Death' gets me from a to b.

So called because after riding a whole 25 miles the bottom bracket spindle sheered off hurling me into traffic and spearing my knee.

Halfords fantastic customer service showed they couldn't give a f***. Unfortunately at the time I wasn't able to crucify them in court.
If you fancy one just bin the BB (imediately !) oh and the saddle.

(I sit at the front by the way)

WorkBike.jpg

PS V-brakes on my GT are way better than the discs on this thing.

Work trailer

Nice rig with trailer, Madjez.

When I was 16 (1971), I lived with my parents on the hill above La Jolla, California <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Jolla,_San_Diego,_California>. (Didn't have to be rich back then.) I was a bike racer and also a scuba diver. During the summer it was too crowded to park at the beach. So, instead of driving, I'd load my scuba gear in a Bugger trailer (yes, that was the unfortunate brand name), hook it up behind a three-speed Raleigh Twenty, and coast a couple miles downhill to the Cove. The Weinmann sidepulls had trouble with a trailer with a full 72 cubic foot steel tank, weight belt, and other stuff.

Major drag was going home. I'd be exhausted from poking under rocks for abalone and lobster until the tank ran out. Then I'd have to load everything back in the trailer, including the day's catch, and crank it all back up the long steep hill to home. It's no wonder that, years later, I never was tempted to pull my kids in a trailer.

Thats a lot of weight.

Lucky with this trailer although it's steel and quite heavy to lift,
it rolls real well (16" bike wheels) so you don't feel much weight even on the hills.

Tho have been tempted to see how much beer I can get in it !

I've got a Carrera Subway 1 (relegated to wife's bike now I've got my Saracen). The bottom bracket in that only lasted 100miles before it needed replacing.

1996 Crescent Trekking

This one hauls me to work and back every day, all year round. The odometer will hit 80000 km - twice around the world - the week before Christmas. :cool:
When I bought it new in 1996 it had a full Acera X group except for the hubs that were (and still are) Altus.

After a dozen Swedish winters pretty much all the components were well past their lifetime, they can survive just so much rain, snow, salt and grime.
So last year, I took a dive into the retro-box and came back with mostly early 90´s Deore XT stuff. In a sense I both up- and retrograded it.

Since I often commute when it's dark, I want lots of light. In the front I have a pair of MagicShines and a Dinotte 140R on the saddle rails brings up the rear.

crescent_trekking_1.jpg

Weight as pictured: 18 kg - 40 lbs.

crescent_trekking_2.jpg

2 x MagicShine lights. They're on Marwi mounts that let them swivel sideways.
Batteries in an old Topeak bag that I got with some halogen lights eons ago.

crescent_trekking_3.jpg

Shimano Deore XT II - M730 chainset and bottom bracket.
Shimano PD-M324 pedals. One side SPD, the other side is flat.

crescent_trekking_4.jpg

Shimano Deore XT II - M735

crescent_trekking_5.jpg

Cockpit. Garmin Edge 705. PRO Anatomic bar ends. Golden bell with a friendly tone :D

crescent_trekking_6.jpg

Dinotte 140R rear light on the rails of a Specialized Phenom SL saddle.
I got the seatpost just recently from RB member canuckinboston, thanks mate!
Up until then I've run with a post that I never could adjust the saddle tilt perfectly with, the serrations were too coarse.
Not enough to cause discomfort but it has bugged me, but I've been too lazy...
To top it off, my old post was silver and to run that together with a black stem for 14 years :oops:

crescent_trekking_7.jpg

Most components are Shimano but the brakes are SunTour XC Pro cantilevers, with Aztec pads.

crescent_trekking_8.jpg

The mud flaps are a recent eBay find. They're NOS 70´s vintage. I'm not sure of other countries, but in Sweden they have names:
the front one is the "Ego flap" and the rear one is the "Buddy flap".

I'm still using the original Altus hubs. They have stood up surprisingly well.
The rims on the other hand will most likely only survive one more winter, they are getting thin in the side walls from all the grime-laden braking.

Latest posts

Back