1958 Carlton Constellation

sisyphus":3be9m5hr said:
Gorgeous....only to be equalled by that Cobra I'll send you pictures of soonish

I look forward to that. The bike of my dreams in the 1970s!

A nice autumn morning shot...
PA170395.jpg

sisyphus":187hfyh9 said:
How did you come to own that bike Mike - its a lovely thing.

The former owner was left the cycle by his grandfather who used it for time trials when in bought it in 1963. The gentleman who sold it to me contacted me through my website - he wanted the bike to go to a good home as he did not ride the cycle much. He was given the bike in the 1990s. I acquired the Constellation earlier this year and refurbished the machine to what we see now. So I really got this one out of the blue.

That's lovely. Are those Michelin World Tours? Are they period correct? If so I can hardly believe they're still available new! I only lost mine last week...

djoptix":30hu36gb said:
That's lovely. Are those Michelin World Tours? Are they period correct? If so I can hardly believe they're still available new! I only lost mine last week...

I think the original tyres might have been Dunlop or something similar. I cannot say if the World Tours were around then, I suspect not. That said the WTs give a nice ride and they look OK with the machine.

Yep, they definitely look right. I just had a giggle at the thought that I might have been using 1958 vintage tyres :D

The former owner was left the cycle by his grandfather who used it for time trials when in bought it in 1963. The gentleman who sold it to me contacted me through my website - he wanted the bike to go to a good home as he did not ride the cycle much. He was given the bike in the 1990s. I acquired the Constellation earlier this year and refurbished the machine to what we see now. So I really got this one out of the blue.[/quote]

I bet he'd be thrilled to know its still going and still looks like new!

Back