Is this hub suitable for a 1958 cycle?

oldgit

Retro Guru
I shall be needing a set of singlespeed wheels for my 1958 Raleigh. I've seen these hubs on Ebay and wondered if they were appropriate.
!B1fkvngBWk~$(KGrHqV,!icE)q7oeumDBMer4-7f9Q~~_12.JPG

It's a Raleigh lenton, clubman style bike. I'd love something 'flash' but I assume the stock hubs would have been basic affairs. The hub above is a Phillips NOS.

If it's the "marque III" I think it had a BW large(ish) flange solid centre in the front. Raleigh must have been really trying.
The phillips hub was about 7shillings a pair new in 1958, when Campagnolo SFQR were 66 shillings. No fixed wheel locking ring thread.
Typical steel hub, the flanges were too narrow, and the spoke holes too large, made for quick assembly. With 14G (2mm) spokes I could lace up one of these 40 hole in 3 minutes. If the Raleigh has the usual 5/16 rear fork ends then the flatted spindle will save filing.
Pretty inconclusive?

Thanks again.

And yes it's the Marque 111. Probably best to hold out for some higher quality period hubs then?

I gave up selling Raleigh and other make bikes in 1957, and turned to components only, can't really remember what this one had. Raleigh tended to supply with SA gears, but being only 10 years out of date, must have made a special effort with this. Fancy actually fitting the "Bendylux" They did make an ordinary steel double sided hub with a 5/16 spindle to go in their fork ends, but pretty unlikely to find one. Might be better to find an old wheel with a decent hub in it?
I was always more interested in making bikes go better than making works of art.

Latest posts

Back