Home tool kits help

computerbitz

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Right having got me bikes and some parts i find myself in a position of changing things round on them, Upon close inspection of my old tool box all i have left of any bike tools is an old BB extracter and a chain tool so am sort of stuck

found complete toolkits on ebay like the following

7419_3.JPG

so my question is are they any good or not, can imagine they are'nt the best quality for that price (£40) but if they do the job then hey what the hell.

Grind your teeth, scream B*LL*CKS a lot in desperation as you find you lack the right gear and buy the tools seperately as and when you need them. For the work-a-day stuff like screwdrivers spend a little extra and buy Stanley or Draper. For the bike-specific stuff go for Park Tools ( the best coping mechanism is to WINCE at the price then relax as the buggers last years ).
Those tool boxes are lovely bargains IF you take the BB off or split the chain once a year.

yes nothing worse than crap tool that breaks (chain splitters particularly are bad for this)... buy good quality as and when. and Park is best. In terms of an on-ride multi-tool I have a Minoura from over 15 years ago that just won't give up. Allen keys not rounded or anything. Fantastic quality.

I got a Veloman one very much like the one above, lots of useful things in it but not too strong I think. Ok for £40 though and got me going. Geezer sells them on ebay, supposedly the same kit as the Draper one just rebranded, not sure about that though as I'm still using my ol man's Draper socket set from about 1702, and I don't think my veloman will still be going when I'm a granpa.

scant":kyk30u9y said:
only 1 I wouldnt buy, chainwhip. made my own in 92 & its still in use today :)

:LOL: I made 2 a long, long time ago (so I could 'crack' freewheels)
Old steel seatpost, hammered flat at one end, hole drilled, chain attatched. Also still in use today! (Though I never did 'crack' a freewheel apart!) :LOL:

Agency_Scum":1pnev8pw said:
Grind your teeth, scream B*LL*CKS a lot in desperation as you find you lack the right gear and buy the tools seperately as and when you need them. For the work-a-day stuff like screwdrivers spend a little extra and buy Stanley or Draper. For the bike-specific stuff go for Park Tools ( the best coping mechanism is to WINCE at the price then relax as the buggers last years ).
Those tool boxes are lovely bargains IF you take the BB off or split the chain once a year.

Second that :D

Buy them as you need them is the best advice, next best advice is quality tools = quality job

Back