1987 Bromwich (built at Tom Bromwich's workshop in Coventry)

flyingfinn

Kona Fan
Hi there

Having viewed retrobike for a long time I have finally joined.

I managed to squeeze 2 images of each of my four bikes into an album set; initially I concentrated on showing my recent MTB build on the pre 97 MTB forum but I really felt the need to put up my personal favourite bike.

I ordered this bike through Colin Lewis Cycles in Paignton in 1987, the frame was custom built for me by Bromwich and originally the bike was built up with a Shimano 600 EX groupset and a mix of Cinelli bars and stem and SR Laprade seatpost.

Over the years I have slowly improved the standard of the groupset by moving nearly everything up to Dura Ace 7402; taking advantage of 6 months in 1990 when I could ride and upgrade the bike whilst in USA (purchase prices then were about 60% of UK prices - nearly bought a Cannondale Tri bike but did not have enough room to bring it back. The pictures were taken 5 years ago when the chainset was still a Shimano 600, this was recently replaced with a beautiful barely used 7410 set - so now the bike looks even better.

Having just seen the post for rBoTM I thought I would get a quick post in here to see if any of you think I should enter. As I said the 2 images I have managed to squeeze in to my album set were the two best I could manage for the moment but I could try and rearrange the album and get better more recent images if I enter the bike for rBoTM.

Thanks for looking,

flying finn

main.php

main.php

Current Specification as follows:

Frame: Bromwich - Reynolds 531P double butted
Fork: Bromwich - Reynolds 531P double butted

Headset: Shimano 600
Stem: 3T aero
Handlebar: 3T competition
Bar Tape: Bontrager artificial cork mix - blue

Brake Levers/Brifters: Shimano 105 standard levers
Brake Calipers: Shimano 600 (NOS DuraAce 7403 to be fitted)
Brake Pads: Shimano Ultegra
Brake Cables: Shimano Dura Ace

Shifters: Shimano Dura Ace 7402 downtube levers
Front Derailleur: NOS Shimano Dura Ace 7403
Rear Derailleur: NOS Shimano Dura Ace 7402
Derailleur Cables: Shimano Dura Ace
Cassette: Shimano Dura Ace 7402 Uniglide
Chain: Shimano Dura Ace Hyperglide
Cranks: Shimano Dura Ace 7410
Chainrings: Shimano Dura Ace 7410
Bottom Bracket: Shimano Dura Ace 7410
Pedals: Shimano 600 (Time ATAC Alium as required)

Rims: Mavic Open Pro
Hubs: Shimano Dura Ace 7402
Hub Skewers: Shimano Dura Ace 7402
Nipples: DT Swiss
Spokes: DT Swiss Double butted
Tyres: Bontrager Racelite Hardcase 23-622
Tubes: Bontrager

Saddle: Specialized BodyGlove
Seatpost: Shimano Dura Ace 7402 Aero
Seatpost Binder: Part of Frame

Bottle Cage: Campagnolo Aero (1989)
Extras: Cateye light and computer mounts on handlebar
Cateye light mount on seatpost

Weight: 19 lb 6 oz approx

Attachments

• Chainset and Changer.JPG
    Chainset and Changer.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 5,306
  • Shifters.JPG
    Shifters.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 5,306
  • B 001.jpg
    B 001.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 5,298
Very lovely.....
Simply looks high class, i think it will look even better with some Tom Bromwich transfers on....

Comment wrt Bromwich

Mavesyn,

Thanks, having posted this yesterday I felt animated to take some updated shots so did so this morning and might use the 2 best to enter the bike for rBoTM.

ff

mavesyn":2ivgtdqg said:
Very lovely.....
Simply looks high class, i think it will look even better with some Tom Bromwich transfers on....

I presume you can get these from Lloyd's these days? Dad has a Bromwich lo-pro (complete with 650c front wheel laced up by Phil Sherwood) built in fillet-brazed 531SL at home; Sirius did the restoration work on it circa 1998 (I think - they did my old Nickson 653 at around the same time too) and were able to source original Tom Bromwich transfers, presumably as they had links of a kind to Bromwich.

David

Bromwich Lo-pro

David, It would definitely be good to see some pictures - I seem to remember seeing one that was just being built up at Colin Lewis' when I collected mine in July 87.

flyingfinn

Not due to visit Mum & Dad for a couple of months now - will see what I can do with the camera whilst there for Christmas!

David

bromwich

hi, i also own a tom bromwich that i am currently renovating new decals are unavailable from lloyds. I have sourced mine from lee cooper who used to work for tom bromwich in the 80's. he supplied me a set for £25 which seems a little steep but i do not know anyone else who has originals...

Attachments

• IMG00215-20100927-1442.jpg
    IMG00215-20100927-1442.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 5,080
  • IMG00217-20100927-1443.jpg
    IMG00217-20100927-1443.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 5,080
  • IMG00218-20100927-1443.jpg
    IMG00218-20100927-1443.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 5,080
Back