Early Saracen Lovers Anonymous......

What I mean by bikes not seeing mountains, is how many mountain bike riders have rode on mountains, or hills as we have them in Britain ?

I have done Helvellyn with the bike, carried it over striding edge and enjoyed the top and the descent, Cycle camped up on High Street, which involved a lot of carrying as well, but High Street is fun to cycle. The rest of my rough terrain is moor and woods.

Here's a bike that's seen quite a bit of riding in the British hills - usually with full camping gear attached - along with a friend with his Overbury's Pioneer. Bought this Saracen Conquest back in 1985 for a ride along the Pennine Way from that point on I was hooked. The bike's been over Snowdon, all around the Lakes, Scotland and Greece. Until a couple of years ago it was my only bike after all, what could it not do that modern bikes can?? Alas I finally retired the old girl and succumbed to a Saracen Zen 631 and then a Van Nicholas Zion. Couldn't bear to part with it though and set about restoring it to its former glory. After spending far too much money having original parts shipped from all over the world here it is. Still not quite finished - Brooks 66 saddle on order and still looking for original handle bars, seat post, rear cluster and stem. Wasn’t sure whether I should have it re-sprayed but decided that the old battered paint gave it sense of its past – any views?

Attachments

• Saracen_Conquest.jpg
    Saracen_Conquest.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 2,086
  • Saracen_Conquest_Rear.jpg
    Saracen_Conquest_Rear.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 2,086
Wow.. Welcome to the forum john cocker! Do you have any bigger pics of your conquest? What a special bike indeed :D

finally got me one,in frame only at present

wa orange71s and after harassment he sold me it and im super staked.

had an andes fs when i was younger and my first proper mtb,id had bso's and an unknown 501 frame thingy.

fitted like a glove and was the ride of my life,upgraded it to whatever i could peg steal or borrow and sadly was stolen from the flats i used to visit for herbal nights in :roll: ,karma eh ??

i will find a pic of me,in the air while riding around clumber park mid 90's and post later,for now heres the frame im gonna build and never let go :D

Photo1894.jpg

Thanks dendy - great that people appreciate good old British quality! Here's a bigger photo - will try and post another later

Attachments

• Saracen_Conquest_1.jpg
    Saracen_Conquest_1.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 2,065
longun":krsoer94 said:
finally got me one,in frame only at present

wa orange71s and after harassment he sold me it and im super staked.

had an andes fs when i was younger and my first proper mtb,id had bso's and an unknown 501 frame thingy.

fitted like a glove and was the ride of my life,upgraded it to whatever i could peg steal or borrow and sadly was stolen from the flats i used to visit for herbal nights in :roll: ,karma eh ??

i will find a pic of me,in the air while riding around clumber park mid 90's and post later,for now heres the frame im gonna build and never let go :D

Photo1894.jpg

I have a very similar frame and have been doing a little research and thanks to neill I may be able to shed some light on these frames..

Imo my frame and the above are from 1996 the year vs were first fitted to the kilis. My frame has one decal left that is green enabling me to sy my frame is a kili comp made out of tange prestige concept....

Longuns new frame is i think a kili pro that used to don blue decals and was made out of ritchey superlight tubing. I think this is the case cos of the bendy seat stays and my ones being straight. So maybe the big cheese's unknown Saracen frame is in fact a kili pro 96.

The kili comp had a mix of lx/xt and the pro was all xt, both were powder coated what Saracen called quicksilver.

The 96 kili flyer was again silver but made out of aermet tubing..

Off coarse much of the above could be a complete load of misleading tosh :LOL:

I will post the brochure pages i have been using asap

johncocker":1l3m657a said:
Here's a bike that's seen quite a bit of riding in the British hills - usually with full camping gear attached - along with a friend with his Overbury's Pioneer. Bought this Saracen Conquest back in 1985 for a ride along the Pennine Way from that point on I was hooked. The bike's been over Snowdon, all around the Lakes, Scotland and Greece. Until a couple of years ago it was my only bike after all, what could it not do that modern bikes can?? Alas I finally retired the old girl and succumbed to a Saracen Zen 631 and then a Van Nicholas Zion. Couldn't bear to part with it though and set about restoring it to its former glory. After spending far too much money having original parts shipped from all over the world here it is. Still not quite finished - Brooks 66 saddle on order and still looking for original handle bars, seat post, rear cluster and stem. Wasn’t sure whether I should have it re-sprayed but decided that the old battered paint gave it sense of its past – any views?

Well to me a Retro bike is an old bike still being used, and by being an old bike it has signs of use, so every scratch and ding that is there tells a story, they are memories if not yours, but the bike's, so my answer is keep the frame as is. Perhaps the only time you should think of repainting, is if corrosion takes hold, then, it is perhaps necessary although for myself, I just cover paint loss with clear nail varnish.

Dendy - not a brilliant photo but here's another one - now with it's original Blackburn rack - I'll post others when the sun comes out!

Thanks silverclaws - I fully agree - was very tempted but you're right and it's good to know they're all my scratches!

Attachments

• Saracen_Conquest_2.jpg
    Saracen_Conquest_2.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 1,647
Back