But why a Retro Bike?...

i got into riding while i was at school, thus all i could afford was what i could get by smiling sweetly at my parents, and doing paper rounds. hence STX was "the good stuff" and LX/XT was some unheard-of wonderland

i'll always remember how shocked i was taking off my steel bar and stem for kalloy ones - felt like a new bike

the high and the low of it, is i'm very tragically lusting after stuff i couldnt afford then.

cce":f3xv07kh said:
i got into riding while i was at school, thus all i could afford was what i could get by smiling sweetly at my parents, and doing paper rounds. hence STX was "the good stuff" and LX/XT was some unheard-of wonderland

i'll always remember how shocked i was taking off my steel bar and stem for kalloy ones - felt like a new bike

the high and the low of it, is i'm very tragically lusting after stuff i couldnt afford then.

its not tragic! I'd hazard a guess thats what most people are doing (including me!) looking back some of the prices in the "glory days" were just plain stupid! £180 for pair grafton re entry levers. WTF! its cool to be able to buy the parts you wanted for (hopefully a LOT!) less :)

andrewl":2uycsndj said:

They do bring a smile my face though, but mainly because I used to think that it could never get better than this BITD.

I'd say I collect retro stuff for nostalgic reasons and a sense of preserving the past. Maybe its just an addiction...

As for 8 vs 9 speed, give me nine speed any day :D

I agree with Andrewl and Scant. I think that for some of us it´s just a matter of nostalgy, preserving the past and just make a smile when you look at your bikes. But, as Scant wrote, that depends of how old you are in this sport.

scant":3agsmxs9 said:
..... tennis courts ....

Now we're talking (although I can't advocate returning to the days of warped, heavy wooden rackets. Although the Connors T-3000 'banjo' model was tasty).

Diadora Bjorn Borg Gold anyone?

Sorry - well off topic!

Are we like an 80s or 90s version of the Amish? :LOL:

TRAVEL-AMISH.jpg

" 'Ere Scant, Jez's got his new Trimble out, fancy a blast on the trails? "

I'll get me coat.

Oh, I thought ft meant fingertip...

Still wanna see pics for proof?

Have done about 8ft max, on a rigid. Actual feet this time. Was when I were 'young, wild and reckless'. Way long ago...

I am more an uphiller type of guy. We have impressive dunes here! I have never been overtaken by a fs ...even when riding one myself :roll:

Agency_Scum":y6cp8utm said:

TRAVEL-AMISH.jpg

I'll get me coat.

literally LOL!! :LOL: :LOL:

scant":20ie01hu said:
Agency_Scum":20ie01hu said:

TRAVEL-AMISH.jpg

I'll get me coat.