'91 Orange Prestige - Finished!!!!! - Update on Page 2

Anthony":y39avd9g said:
Splitting hairs (who me?) but that is what I think a 1992 Prestige looks like. Could you put me out of my misery by telling us the serial number please?

And I'm also sad enough to be interested to know what it says on the black sticker on the seat tube. :oops:

for a guess its the same as this.
2zrkg0h.jpg

Khane":3a5tqzyx said:
Anthony":3a5tqzyx said:
Splitting hairs (who me?) but that is what I think a 1992 Prestige looks like. Could you put me out of my misery by telling us the serial number please?

And I'm also sad enough to be interested to know what it says on the black sticker on the seat tube. :oops:

Could well be. But its seat stay doesn't connect to the seat tube at the same point as yours. Yours is certainly 90/91, and they were made from Superlight from late 92, so I think Nevada's bike looks like an early 92.

Anthony":2xerle90 said:
Khane":2xerle90 said:
Anthony":2xerle90 said:

Could well be. But its seat stay doesn't connect to the seat tube at the same point as yours. Yours is certainly 90/91, and they were made from Superlight from late 92, so I think Nevada's bike looks like an early 92.

Ok been out to the garage;

The sticker is from a Bike Shop in Douglas - there is no frame tube type label - must have been washed off at some point I guess.....

The serial number is A1094?43 where the ? is a 2 or a 3 - can't make it out.

I was dating it as a '91 as AndyR was around when it was bought and that was the year he gave me - could be a very late '91?

Any date info from an Orange guru would be appreciated. :cool:

Attachments

• RIMG1069.jpg
    RIMG1069.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 1,505
nevadasmith":2s4fuxv5 said:
Ok been out to the garage;

The sticker is from a Bike Shop in Douglas - there is no frame tube type label - must have been washed off at some point I guess.....

The serial number is A1094?43 where the ? is a 2 or a 3 - can't make it out.

I was dating it as a '91 as AndyR was around when it was bought and that was the year he gave me - could be a very late '91?

Any date info from an Orange guru would be appreciated. :cool:
Aha! A109 means the frame was built over there t'other side of the planet in September 1991. So, when would it have found its way over here to go on sale? Was it the last of the 91s or the first of the 92s?

Stylistically it looks like a 92 with the seat stay joining the seat tube at the level of the bottom of the top tube. Previously the join was below. Andy could well have bought it in 1991, but you could go in the same shop tomorrow and buy a 2011 bike.

If it is a 92 model, I think it is probably made of Tange Prestige Ultimate Superlight. I don't know exactly when they went over to using Superlight, whether it was for all 92 models or during 92, but every 92 Prestige I've seen that had a tubeset badge had a Superlight badge. e.g., this one.

Attachments

• 1992 Prestige.jpg
    1992 Prestige.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 1,498
Anthony":281xx6ye said:
Aha! A109 means the frame was built over there t'other side of the planet in September 1991. So, when would it have found its way over here to go on sale? Was it the last of the 91s or the first of the 92s?

Taiwan????! I thought Oranges were UK built or am I horribly misguided? No problem either way - its very nicely put together and reasonably light weight :D

Sounds like the date is sorted - it's a '92 model built and bought in '91 - made of something but probably Tange Prestige with some Logic Prestige tubes mixed in for good measure...................... :D

Anthony's bang on as usual. ;)

I think Orange farmed out frame building to the Far East around 1989. I've a feature in MBUK saying they just couldn't keep up with demand so had them built abroad with strict quality control. Don't think many Oranges were made in the UK during the 90's :?

At present all full suss bikes are UK built. ;)

brocklanders023":32w7ed8c said:
Anthony's bang on as usual. ;)

I think Orange farmed out frame building to the Far East around 1989. I've a feature in MBUK saying they just couldn't keep up with demand so had them built abroad with strict quality control. Don't think many Oranges were made in the UK during the 90's :?

Do you know when this happened? is there a before and after serial number?

Mine is ex Clunker and A910310573

tia

Re:

nevadasmith":2l734xph said:
brocklanders023":2l734xph said:
That was a superb buy and I'd have had it if you hadn't beat me too it! :evil: :LOL: :cool:

Look forward to more pictures and updates, oh and dibs if you sell. ;)

Sorry about that - I deliberated for a while but decided that they don't come up like this very often and went for it - dibs noted. :D ;)

They certainly were mate! Finally this is all mine now :D Will start it's own thread soon although there won't be many changes. Maybe a stem with a bit of rise, a bit of a wider bar, possibly a different seat post and that should be it. Keep an eye out! :cool: :xmas-big-grin: :eek: :D

Back