Some interesting old ads

Old Ned

Old School Grand Master
Whilst looking through some recently acquired issues of 'Sporting Cyclist' I came across these adverts.

In another recent thread there was a discussion regarding whether or not Harry Hall actually built his own frames himself. This advert from the Feb 1960 issue states that he did - but it's the only one I've found which does. Mind you, I'm still missing a couple of issues around that date which might include another one. Note that it's Harry's original shop in West Gorton.

The next two adverts are for shoes, one for 'Mercury' brand - and the next for 'Reebok'. I'm assuming that this is the 'Reebok' brand that is still around and sponsoring football clubs etc. but I had no idea that their roots were in manufacturing Cycling shoes. I wonder if they themselves do?

Attachments

• ReebokShoesApril60.A.jpg
    ReebokShoesApril60.A.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 1,142
  • MercuryShoesFeb60.A.jpg
    MercuryShoesFeb60.A.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 1,142
  • HarryHallAdFeb60.A.jpg
    HarryHallAdFeb60.A.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 1,142
I didn't know about the Reebok cycling shoes but given that the well-known modern day firm has Lancashire origins (and maintains those links to this day, sponsoring the Bolton Wanderers ground and so on) it's definitely the same company.

David

Great ads, thanks for taking the time to scan. That time machine would indeed be useful :D

I love looking at old adverts. A Campag chainset was almost the price of a custom built frame! But the average wage back must have been, what, £5?!!

I would have though Mercury/Reebok back then were a general sport shoes maker, rather than having "their roots were in manufacturing cycling shoes".

terryhfs":m5jkdakk said:
Reebok originally went under the name "Foster's Famous Shoes".

That's interesting. So where do the 'Mercury' cycling shoes and the 1960 re-branding come in? How far back are you going with the 'Fosters' name? Or were 'Fosters' the manufacturer of the original 'Mercury' branding?

So many questions....................

As for 'roots' I suppose I meant that they did make cycling shoes in their early days which is a side of the sporting shoe trade that they don't touch now and probably never will.

Back