But why a Retro Bike?...

ft = feet. wow impressed dude, 30feet of airtime on a fully rigid or hardtail? show pics/ youtube footage :)

Ok sorry if it was me that got the thread slidding the wrong way.
Pie me.

Attachments

• pie impact copy.jpg
    pie impact copy.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 1,138
scant":1w46xs8e said:
ft = feet. wow impressed dude, 30feet of airtime on a fully rigid or hardtail? show pics/ youtube footage :)

30ft is about 10 metres I think .

Just to add my 2c, I dabble in a little airtime, and large jumps are easier when they go well, more time to correct and bigger landings to aim for. I've had many more falls on small jumps with small landings hit at speed when you've hardly any time to make adjustments.
When the big jumps go wrong though you're in trouble and thats why you don't see many people hitting them.

p.s. for scant - this is on a rigid singlespeed as submitted by me in the last singlespeed BOTM ;)

stevet1":1zelvmni said:
Just to add my 2c, I dabble in a little airtime, and large jumps are easier when they go well, more time to correct and bigger landings to aim for. I've had many more falls on small jumps with small landings hit at speed when you've hardly any time to make adjustments.
When the big jumps go wrong though you're in trouble and thats why you don't see many people hitting them.

p.s. for scant - this is on a rigid singlespeed as submitted by me in the last singlespeed BOTM ;)

you're my hero :LOL: ;) I find judging the speed required for bigger jumps waay harder than smaller, but hey thats just me.
want to do a ride around my way? I like learning off new folks esp those who can clear 30ft jumps on fully rigid on world cup DH courses (not paper smooth transistions ;) :LOL: :LOL:

this threads making me laff :LOL:

cchris2lou":2jln9cop said:
scant":2jln9cop said:

30ft is about 10 metres I think .

yeh I'm looking forward to seeing pics of Elev12k pulling 30ft air ;)
lost in translation maybe? with the "ft" thing?

scant":2m065zh1 said:
none of the above ;)

I dont ride retro bikes, okay a few exceptions but most of them are too pretty to thrown down a mountain side with recklass "hire car" mentality. I love some retro bikes as they're simply gorgeous & beautifully made, but most are too fragile for the way I ride now compared to 20yrs ago.

I'm with scant on this one...

I rarely ride my retro rides a) because if I break something in some cases I can't replace it and b) technology has moved on and so has my riding and they are largely unsuitable for a lot of the ciurrent trail I ride on.

They do bring a smile my face though, but mainly because I used to think that it could never get better than this BITD.

I'd say I collect retro stuff for nostalgic reasons and a sense of preserving the past. Maybe its just an addiction...

As for 8 vs 9 speed, give me nine speed any day :D

andrewl":2boyqtqf said:
scant":2boyqtqf said:
none of the above ;)

I dont ride retro bikes, okay a few exceptions but most of them are too pretty to thrown down a mountain side with recklass "hire car" mentality. I love some retro bikes as they're simply gorgeous & beautifully made, but most are too fragile for the way I ride now compared to 20yrs ago.

I'm with scant on this one...

I rarely ride my retro rides a) because if I break something in some cases I can't replace it and b) technology has moved on and so has my riding and they are largely unsuitable for a lot of the ciurrent trail I ride on.

They do bring a smile my face though, but mainly because I used to think that it could never get better than this BITD.

I'd say I collect retro stuff for nostalgic reasons and a sense of preserving the past. Maybe its just an addiction...

As for 8 vs 9 speed, give me nine speed any day :D

I've just thought of a classic case. limited edition models. to me a 92 fat chance 10th anniversary (for example) is a cult bike. when Yeti announced they're 20th anniversary bike was a different spray Yeti 303 I was bitterly dissapointed...(their 10th anniversary was the zephyr :) which made me think. maybe retro is just the point in time from where you started?
I see people putting up retro rebuilds of intense M1 DH bikes & I think, thats not retro! its only 10-12yrs old! but to the owner maybe it is retro

when threads like this develop people are massively defensive of their views & bikes. people are passionate about their bikes & that can only be a good thing!

no agro meant towards anyone b.t.w. its all just banter ;) .. if it comforts anyone I love my retro bikes & dont want to harm them as andrewl stated :D

scant":1m0wxrh4 said:
stevet1":1m0wxrh4 said:

you're my hero :LOL: ;) I find judging the speed required for bigger jumps waay harder than smaller, but hey thats just me.
want to do a ride around my way? I like learning off new folks esp those who can clear 30ft jumps on fully rigid on world cup DH courses (not paper smooth transistions ;) :LOL: :LOL:

Ah I never said it was on a retro bike, and I didn't even claim 30ft, I was just adding my thoughts that in principle larger jumps are easier to hit, but theres a much bigger risk factor.
I'd love to come ride around your trails but its a 4 hour drive.

stevet1":1gf6uk16 said:
scant":1gf6uk16 said:
stevet1":1gf6uk16 said:

Ah I never said it was on a retro bike, and I didn't even claim 30ft, I'd love to come ride around your trails but its a 4 hour drive.

the retro bike/ 30ft part was the entire discussion point tho ;) no matter :)
I'm still gutted council tore down the packed out bmx park in 95 & built a barely ever used tennis courts :( I was just getting the hang of 1 handers over doubles & non handers over tabletops. dont use it, you loose it & can barely jump for toffee these days :twisted:
always welcome for a ride :D

Back