Ribble 653 Record

AndyPA":1340a67o said:
Iwasgoodonce":1340a67o said:
As this bike is by Mike Kowal, could you tell me please how the gear cable guide is attached to the bottom bracket shell? Mine is held only by the cable tension and I'm wondering if that is why it is shifting like a dog.

Thanks.
depends on he bracket shell used,probably a plastic guide held on with a 4mm cap head tapped into the brkt shell or a push fit clip

Andy, there is no hole through the guide and the BB shell is unmarked. I am wondering if some sort of glue was used and this has now worn off?

Iwasgoodonce":27l8a26l said:
AndyPA":27l8a26l said:
Iwasgoodonce":27l8a26l said:
As this bike is by Mike Kowal, could you tell me please how the gear cable guide is attached to the bottom bracket shell? Mine is held only by the cable tension and I'm wondering if that is why it is shifting like a dog.

Thanks.
depends on he bracket shell used,probably a plastic guide held on with a 4mm cap head tapped into the brkt shell or a push fit clip

Andy, there is no hole through the guide and the BB shell is unmarked. I am wondering if some sort of glue was used and this has now worn off?
Post a picture of it underneath and i can advise,i doubt it was glued on :)

very nicebike. I remember them fine.

I'm curious about the Mavic hubs. Did they come pre-slotted, or was that a modification. I remember folk slotting hubs for bladed spokes.

mavesyn":3d87b8pd said:
Andy PA, tell us more.
Autostrada, Mike Kowall, yes?. Where were you based.
We are having a little discussion, on a Harry Hall CX bike, and possible Mike Kowall connections with Harry Hall frames.
Mike.

Seeing it come 'live' again I've just revisited this thread and remembered since that it was Roger Kowalski that built for HH - not Mike :oops:

My memory's not what it used to be - I think ;)

Just caught up with this thread, and to tidy up some loose ends:

the bb shell looks like a nice cast number; is slotted and has raised 'grooves' to guide the cabling.

however, the hubs aren't slotted: the spokes start round section near the hub then go bladed - is this what you meant Ally or have I missed the point?

@ Jonny - the flite is super comfy and will stay (still a bit grumpy about this as I've always eschewed them for mountain bikes and now have no excuse for splashing out on a brooks...)

Anyway, after reading Tim Krabbe's the Rider I got all enthusiastic and took it round the block at the weekend: managed 15 miles in under an hour (for me, that's lightspeed). Truly a sweet eager bike.

Old Ned":1msqzogd said:
mavesyn":1msqzogd said:
Andy PA, tell us more.
Autostrada, Mike Kowall, yes?. Where were you based.
We are having a little discussion, on a Harry Hall CX bike, and possible Mike Kowall connections with Harry Hall frames.
Mike.

Seeing it come 'live' again I've just revisited this thread and remembered since that it was Roger Kowalski that built for HH - not Mike :oops:

My memory's not what it used to be - I think ;)
Ned, Mike Kowals full surname is kowalski and we did build for HH
all top secret though :)

Who is this then with HH? I'm sure that's Harry at the back filing a BB.

Attachments

• HarryHallAdApril72ICS.A.jpg
    HarryHallAdApril72ICS.A.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 2,060
Old Ned":1xl56sg1 said:
Who is this then with HH? I'm sure that's Harry at the back filing a BB.
didnt do all of them ,just certain stock frames,they built the specials downstairs

Back