But why a Retro Bike?...

Re: Thinking skills....

mrkawasaki":3r1fkpbo said:
the day they bring in a rigid class for World Cup downhill I will raise a glass - maybe there's an idea for a Retrobike race series...???!

Neil

people clearing 30ft gap jumps on fully rigid retrobikes! :shock: :LOL: now that I gotta see! :LOL: ;)

In music there is a period where it is"Hard Wired" into your brain. I think this period of MTB is something I have burnt into my brain.
However I dont think that they are THE greatest rides and love my new ETSX and its disc brakes far better than any of the old technology.
When our Retro rides came out they were the cutting edge, and old farts were very busy tut tutting. Why some people here insist that modern bikes are crap is to refute that they were at one time ridding "Space age crap, wif new fangly gears and silly fat tires"

Lid":1jagadnn said:
Why some people here insist that modern bikes are crap is to refute that they were at one time ridding "Space age crap, wif new fangly gears and silly fat tires"

An argument that modern bikes don't perform well would be difficult to sustain - I don't think anyone (?) is saying that modern bikes are crap, just that for some people they LOOK crap.

And aren't we at the stage where we're allowed to have strongly held views that aren't reasonable or stand up to scrutiny (it's one of the bits thats smoothing the speed bump of entry to middle age)?

ededwards":2uncwflf said:
Lid":2uncwflf said:
Why some people here insist that modern bikes are crap is to refute that they were at one time ridding "Space age crap, wif new fangly gears and silly fat tires"

An argument that modern bikes don't perform well would be difficult to sustain - I don't think anyone (?) is saying that modern bikes are crap, just that for some people they LOOK crap.

And aren't we at the stage where we're allowed to have strongly held views that aren't reasonable or stand up to scrutiny (it's one of the bits thats smoothing the speed bump of entry to middle age)?

the retro Vs modern thread comes up fairly often & people never agree! :LOL:
agree to disagree me thinks ;)

Hmm, the only exception to that rule could be 9spd vs 8spd.

However, I ride retro because I bought my bike new, it was great and it still is!

OTOH, I am going to build a retro commute bike (if somebody will sell me their Kona frame, see my wanted post hint hint :LOL:) because it's something a bit different, I like the looks, steel frames are awesome and because I guess what you think is really cool at 13 years old can stay with you for life (thankfully not ALL things, but the best ones...).

It's not so much a Retro vs Modern thread, more intrgue into why it is we are all here and what is it that delights us about our older bikes.

I have more modern than retro at the mo and deffo ride the modern more too, but the retro gremlin still sits there on the hadlebars like a figurehead stirring the soul and sparking memories for passers by.

So, what is it about your retro bike that shouts "me, me" when you go to the garage to pick a weapon of choice for a Sunday morning duel with the elements??

:)

scant":2rfkn308 said:
mrkawasaki":2rfkn308 said:
the day they bring in a rigid class for World Cup downhill I will raise a glass - maybe there's an idea for a Retrobike race series...???!

Neil

people clearing 30ft gap jumps on fully rigid retrobikes! :shock: :LOL: now that I gotta see! :LOL: ;)

so in essence the people don't, the bikes do

Elev12k":1xst1s3a said:
scant":1xst1s3a said:
mrkawasaki":1xst1s3a said:

Neil

so in essence the people don't, the bikes do

:LOL: yeh right, how many bikes have you seen ride themselves? ;)
shame you're not in s.wales, then I can take you to a 30ft gap jump, loan you a DH bike & with you astride "let the bike clear the jump" all on its "magic" own with zero input from you ;) :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

sorry, in s silly mood today ;)

Until last July, i though i had a big pile of worthless bikes and parts on my parents garage. I raced with most of them a few years ago (since 1991), but now i was riding modern bikes, full with carbon fiber bits and latest technology...

A friend of mine gave me an old fork he had at home. It was a Judy FSX, an brought me a lot of memories. Next day i was cleaning the dust of my old bikes, and searching the web for service parts...

Found this fórum, and found lots of guys who think as i do about good old bikes. Retrobike forum has got 2 hours of my day, now.

I still ride my modern bikes, but sometimes i go out with an older one. Most of them i will never ride offroad again, but i like them, it´s really a passion.

Some parts were very expensive BITD, i couldn´t afford them, and now i can buy them easely, just have to search.

For me, it´s really a passion. I don´t care if won´t ride them anymore, or ride ´em occasionaly, it´s a completely different state of mind that make´s me love the bikes, admire them, clean them so they can be shiny...

Hope you know what i mean...

Cheers.

Back