My brother's keeper, cyclewise

drpaddle

Dirt Disciple
My brother called me last night rather upset. The Trek I built up for him in 1982 had broken through the top tube and lug at the head tube. Trashed. He was bummed. After all, only 28 years of hard commuting and the frame breaks? Well, I told him to bring the bike over and I'd see what I could do.

He arrived in his 1972 VW bus and unloaded his bike. It really was a thing of beauty. A Campagnolo Nuovo Record triple crankset on a Phil Wood bottom bracket set, Phil hubs, Campi brakes, headset, pedals. Super Champion rims running 700x28c tires. Just as I built it so long ago, with the exception of a replacement rear shifter.

I examined his frame, declared it irreparable, then took a tape measure to the seat tube: 24". "Wait here," said I. I strolled to the pile of bikes in the corner of the garage, and returned with a complete 24" 1979/1980 Trek 730 (Reynolds, Campi tips). "Swap your equipment over and bring me back the leftovers."

He was one happy camper, and my habit of collecting old bike crap was vindicated!

I'm your long lost brother and my bike's broken - please send me a couple of your surplus frames. ;) :roll:

Seriously though, you never know when you might need some of the stuff you 'store' at the back of the garage/shed. At least that's what I tell Mrs Ned.

'It'll come in useful one day.'

I'm sure she doesn't believe me.

Latest posts

Back