boring chainwheel problem (apologies if this appears twice)

smithchild

Dirt Disciple
I'm currently riding a mid-nineties trek running shimano RSX 7spd double.

It's a lovely bike on the flat but i'm too soft to manage steep hills.
I was hoping to put an even smaller inner chainwheel on the front (currently 36t)

After spending hours on sheldonbrown it looks like this should be possible without causing problems.

My question is, where would I find a suitable chainring (32-34) to bolt straight to the current cranks? 5-arm, about 65mm centre-to-centre adjacent bolt holes).

I realise there are probably easier ways to do this but I do not really want to put a big cassette on and have to change rear cage.

any advice gratefully received.

RSX is 110BCD. So you can't fit less than 34t.

The difference in ratios between 36 as you have now, and 34 is negligible.

Thanks for advice..

just read my post and realised how soft I sound, I guess i'll just have to grow some proper legs.

You should be able to climb most things with the ratios you have, assuming you don't have a straight-through block (12-1:cool:.

Work on your technique, either out on the road or down the gym. The most important thing is not to blow-up. Start the climb slowly and increase speed as you progress if you are able to, else stay slow. Concentrate on the rythym between your breathing and pedal strokes and try to relax into it - only your legs will get you up the hill so don't grasp the handlebars like your life depends on it or try and climb with your shoulder muscles.

Back