Leeds Classic 1992

Nice pics. Paul.....
I like the 1st picture of Millar, it looks like he's brought his bike down from his hotel room. :LOL: .
And it's one of those lovely Zullo's...........

There's some nice shots there Paul! :D

I would have been there too!

I've got some prints myself somewhere that were taken up at the Hotel in Trevelyan Square (94??, was it a Mariott??), & up at Lawnswood when they stopped up there (93??)

Eddy Merckx was in attendance!!!, to lend his support to Telekom (think it was still that name??), as Axel was riding for them, plus Motorola too.

What was surprising was how few people recognised him!

Click on pics to open/enlarge

Digressing Slightly

Did you come with us when we* all rode up to Roundhay Park for the World Cyclo-Cross Championships?

*That would probably have been the usual suspects of the time;
Nick G
Simon J
Phil Reeves??
Matthew (from Kippax)
'little' Richard
Joanne (my other-half)
Myself

Great photos. Amazing to see again in pictures the quality of the field that turned up for these races.

I saw most of the Leeds Classics either at the finish on the Headrow or in Roundhay, in Headingley or up at Harewood. I was flabbergasted to find out that Jimmy Saville, who was invariably to be spotted hanging around at these events, was once a pro cyclist...

RichT said:
Did you come with us when we* all rode up to Roundhay Park for the World Cyclo-Cross Championships?

I was probably already there in charge of one of the bike wash 'stations' for both races. We ran out of water for the main event and the council couldn't provide any more! I blagged entry into the after race meal and reception at the city hall in the evening with Pat and sat with all sorts of high ranking officials of overseas federations. When they asked what I did I replied 'Je lave les velos'. I don't think they really understood.

Old Ned":17p1ke4q said:
RichT":17p1ke4q said:
I blagged entry into the after race meal and reception at the city hall in the evening with Pat

Weren't Peter Milsom & Terry Haigh (Barnsley RC??) quite highly involved in the planning/organising of the event (& the 'Nations Cup' too??)

Somewhere I`ve got the programme for that race - also having seen the start I went flat out on the bike to Otley - managed to see them at the big roundabout where they surprised a lot of spectators by going the `wrong way` on the closed roads!
The race route, of course, had taken them about 3x my distance...

RichT":1cpvb4gc said:
Old Ned":1cpvb4gc said:
RichT":1cpvb4gc said:
I blagged entry into the after race meal and reception at the city hall in the evening with Pat

Weren't Peter Milsom & Terry Haigh (Barnsley RC??) quite highly involved in the planning/organising of the event (& the 'Nations Cup' too??)

Yes they were - and George M. as well. They were a bit miffed when they saw me at the evening reception.

Back