1998 Rockhopper resurrection

aaaaaand then she changed shape. Shrunk.

Found a 17" Nitanium frame in pretty minty nick on the bay, so all the bits quickly migrated. Although I ran her a lap with the forks that came with the frame, a set of Jett T2's, just to find out what they'd do for reference. They were better than I'd thought and reeeeally light but to pogoey. Doing doing. So off they came after today's ride and back on with the bombers.

Now this size feels perfect to knock about in the dirt. When more proper money arrives I suspect a set of really good forks and some lush light wheels with Rocket Ron's on and maybe a set of carbon post, stem and bars....

but for now this is the toy and she's sweeeet :cool:

16102010172.jpg

...and back with the bombers....

16102010176.jpg

I really like the brown seat, who is the manufacturer?

You did decaled the bike, I thought you were going with a stealth look...

Nicely done.

lol....that's a new frame I bought yesterday. This one's 17". More fun to feck around with. Just put all the bits from the other one on it today. The 19" stealth frame is still naked and shall remain so. Will turn it into a slicks/road version.

The seat is a Charge Spoon.

That looks nice, and what a quick turnaround!

I have a bare frame hanging in my garage, out of interest, what size seatpost does it take.

lovely :D

my favourite bike frame ever! :D

and yeah the seatpost is a 30.4...

i run mine with a shim and a 27.2 post that find is a bit more flexy and a lot comfier than the 30.4 i had in there originally!

So he's warped again and now sports Nobby Nic and Racing Ralph, both 2.25 and carbon Monkeylite's....and most importantly a 32t in front with an E13 chain device. Love that! NO more dropped chain just as the going gets interesting and bumpy......oh, and of course the Pace RC36's, which are quite sweet as it happens....

19112010191.jpg

Since the pic the other day he's also got a 60mm stem instead of the 90mm. Snappy. Next is an XTR shifter and an XT 9 gear cassette.....and maybe some 100mm Reba's......and then I think I may have exhausted it.....leaning towards adding the next bike soon. But he's really good fun and pretty damned light and nippy, so looking to keep him running and get something 'harder' for abuse sessions....like a Bfe..(ooops, sorry, modern...)...

19112010189.jpg

spacehopper":3o5fot9t said:
lovely :D

my favourite bike frame ever! :D

and yeah the seatpost is a 30.4...

i run mine with a shim and a 27.2 post that find is a bit more flexy and a lot comfier than the 30.4 i had in there originally!

Cheers!

And that sounds like a great idea with the 27.2 post......a bit of flex would be welcome. Sounds like you gave me another thing to do....lol :cool:

But then a 27.2 being shimmable into anything it's justifyable, as it can wander to other frames later......Thomson time perhaps.....or carbon?? Do I trust a 27.2 carbon post at max extension?? Not entirely comfy with that thought....probably time to invest in a 410mm Thomson....as I love a wee frame.

For goodness' sake get rid of the whale tail. But otherwise, what a splendid job! My favourite incarnation was the plain grey frame and Bombers... but it all looks good. Spoon saddle = correct choice on almost any bike. Well done :cool:

Latest posts

Back