2009 Saracen Mantra 3 - Upgraded

EarlofBarnet

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I've had a build thread of this bike sitting on other sites for a while and thought it was about time I share the journey of the Saracen with RB.

I bought this bike in May 2009. I was on a big budget and just needed something that was ok specced and could take my riding style. This bike retailed at £799, but I picked it up from Wiggle at around £450. For a bike with dual piston hydraulic discs, RS Tora forks etc it was a bargain.

saracen-mantra3-zoom.jpg

The spec stayed original for a while, until around November 2009 when I fancied a long travel full suss bike. I picked up a Kona Coiler frame from eBay and a set of Marzocchi 66 forks from Bike Radar and set about swopping the parts from the Mantra on to the new frame.

21022010070.jpg

This was a great bike, but I couldn't get on with it. It weighed a ton and didn't climb well at all. It decended superbly, but I didn't want to compromise and have to struggle bobbing along on climbs. So the frame and forks were sold and I went back to original spec again.

This is how it stayed until early summer 2010, when I started upgrading the Mantra. As much as my snobbery dislikes the fact that it is a Saracen, I can't fault it. The frame is spot on, not too heavy but nice and stiff. Plus it's always good to fly past people on £2k+ bikes on a Saracen :)

So this is how it stands today:

02102010383.jpg

Spec:

Frame: 2009 Saracen Mantra Three 17"

Fork: 2008 Marzocchi XC 600 TST2

Headset: No name Black aheadset with cartridge bearings
Stem: 70mm Specialized - Black
Handlebar: FSA XC-280 riser
Grips: DMR

Brakes: Tektro Auriga Comp hydraulic with 180mm front rotor and 180mm rear rotor

Shifters: Shimano SLX
Front Derailleur: Shimano SLX
Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT
Derailleur Cables: White outers, standard inner.
Cassette: SRAM PG50 9sp
Chain: SRAM 69
Cranks: Shimano XT Hollowtech 2
Bottom Bracket: Shimano XT Hollowtech 2
Pedals: Crank Bros Egg Beaters

Hub Skewers: No name QR - Black
Wheels: Superstar Components Subzero XC/AM
Tyres: Continental Mountain King 2.4"

Saddle: SDG Bel Air RL
Seatpost: Saracen "Blade" alloy micro adjust black finish (logo removed)
Seatpost Binder: No name QR - Black

Weight: N/K - 27lbs?

Future plans - None really. Would like some 2.2" tyres for winter to drop a bit of rolling resistance. Other than that I'm just going to ride it and save up for something new (although will keep the Mantra).

One of the Saracens I actually like (along with the Zen).
Nice looking build.
Have you seen the new range of Saracens btw?

It's served its purpose and done me proud. The new Saracen's look ok, esp the full suss range. Have you seen the prototype titanium Kili they'll be releasing soon, that looks really good.

The Enduro frame hasn't landed yet, so thought I'd get a few pics of the Mantra before it's last ride (and before it's broken up to build the Enduro).

16102010386.jpg

XT front mech now fitted:

16102010387.jpg

Blue DMR grips removed and swopped for Grey ones. 50mm Stem swopped for a 90mm stem for a bit more reach:

16102010388.jpg

Latest posts

Back