Raleigh Limited Edition 1987 - 100 year anniversary

2 Wheel Pony

Retro Newbie
Greetings,
I'm new to this forum, so please excuse me if my post belongs somewhere else!

I have an old Raleigh Limited Edition, from the Centennary Anniversary back in 1987 I think. It's in a fuschia pink and quite run down to be perfectly honest. My plan is to restore it to it's original condition, however I'm finding it difficult to find any picture of what it used to look like. I have emailed Raliegh but no one has got back to me. So I found this forum and thought that someone might be able to help me...

I've tried to attach a picture, not sure if it'll work tho.

Grateful for any thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks,

Attachments

• dolly1.JPG
    dolly1.JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 2,727
Forgive me if I hate the color, but the frame looks like
it would deliver a wonderful ride quality.

Those components can't have been original.

You're forgiven, the colour is a bit on the garish side and not everyone's taste. I love it, but then again I am a girl :) It's quite run down at the moment, but it does roll very nicely on the road, so I can't wait to get it done up.

I don't think the components are original, the back wheel was reasonably new when I bought it and the saddle is supposed to be the original, that's about all I know. I would just like to get a hold of an original picture so that I have something to go by.

I suggest you log on and post this photo on
Bike Forums Classic & Vintage section.

There are serious Raleigh experts there. You
will get all sorts of images. You can also search
for the threads on the model.

Here: http://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay. ... mp-Vintage

Cheers,

Owen

P.S. - Start with water and a soapy cloth. Follow with auto "cleaning wax", which is just more gentle than polishing compound. Then apply a coat of regular car wax paste. Dry cloth polish. I bet it will look a whole lot nicer than you even imagine.

this is a raleigh centenary bike that is currently in the brook lands museum in Surrey gold plated very nice.

Attachments

• DSCF0456 [800x600].jpg
    DSCF0456 [800x600].jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 2,614
Frame looks ok-ish from the pics. As another has suggested worth giving it a good clean and polish to see if you can bring it back to an acceptable level. Otherwise lenty of places can do you a respray and I'd try H Lloyd cycles for decals.

Component wise the gold plated centenary (which I assume would be similar to this) would've come with 12 speed 105. Looks like some of the gruppo is still original on this.

slmracing":38eg4th1 said:
this is a raleigh centenary bike that is currently in the brook lands museum in Surrey gold plated very nice.

The Gold frame in the picture is correct. The Centenery model was plated gold and equipped with Shimano 105 group.

The Pink frame, sadly was not a Centenery. Shot in seat stays on the Pink frame were not used on the Centenery. My guess is that those decal were applied after the frame was re-sprayed.

Your best bet to discover the lineage of the frame is to post up the number stamped into the underside of the bottom bracket. All Raleigh frames had one.

By the way, welcome to Retrobike, nice to have you along for the ride. :)

I know it's an old thread but I have one of those gold raleighs in near original con'd,I will sort a piccy out or do a fresh thread

Nick

big burner":2brktzss said:
I know it's an old thread but I have one of those gold raleighs in near original con'd,I will sort a piccy out or do a fresh thread

Nick

Wow, i'd forgotten about these gold plated Raleighs! I remember Ralph Coleman cycles in Taunton Somerset had one hung up in the shop back in the day :cool:

shawnb":3sykxxoj said:
Wow, i'd forgotten about these gold plated Raleighs! I remember Ralph Coleman cycles in Taunton Somerset had one hung up in the shop back in the day :cool:

Believe it or not mate, they still do! I think it belongs to one of the bosses. There's a curly stayed Hetchins hung up in the store room as well :)

Back