How Far Do You Go?

letmetalktomark

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I am in the process of moving jobs and geographical area and it got me thinking about being green/greener.

I currently commute by bike because its cheap, green and a stop gap to weekend riding in the Quantox!

I'm yet to find a job to move to (Anybody know of anything in Suffolk/Cambridgeshire ;) ;) )I need to think about how I will commute. I realise the feasibility of commuting by bike is enshrouded with variables related to fitness, type of bike etc.

So here it is; how far do you commute by bike? What do you think is reasonable?

Personal preference I know – just interested that’s all.

Cheers,

Mark
:D :D

My job entails sometimes working at an office sometimes out and about. The days I'm in the office I cycle. It's 11 miles and I do it on a single speed slick-tyred MTB. This would usually be 2-3 times a week. The route is undulating and is a mix of urban and countryside. Takes me about 40 minutes. I carry my stuff in a rucksack, which is a bit of a pain, but I can't leave a week's worth in a locker as I'm not always in the office and sometimes need it out and about. I do it rain or shine. Have commuted 50+ minutes but that gets a pain plus you are more sweaty! 45 mins each way I think is about all I would do regularly.

commute 12 miles each way, as much as poss. But out of country every other week-ish.
Started on MTB, no have roadie for the job. Much better!! Quicker if you need to, and if you have time or want to, take a detour. I have several routes home that I take with bail outs, depending what ride I want.

Pretty flat here, so not big effort, and shower at work which helps. Rucksack too with my stuff in.
Would not really want to be much further away, as when I want to get home quickly (raz my guts/feel cak/work till 11pm etc), its just about ok still.

At first you will sleep all day and eat like you have been starved for a month though... :D

god yeah - so it's not just me that has to have 4 meals a day when commuting by bike!! You are just permanently hungry!

My fav distance is ten miles to work. At the mo its 7 1/2 but not too flat for London. Its the best option for a non car driver like me. Cheap ;) quick, less problems than going via public transport (londoners :evil: ) Eye candy in lyrca :cool: Plus nearly all the accidents i've had have given me a nice insurance pay out £££ drivers really should look where they are going when i'm around. But i'm more than happy to take money off their insurance companies for driving in to me. Such is life

my commute is only 3 miles but I work split shift , so I do it 4 times a day .
I do it on a proflex SS , 42 * 14 , which is fine .

I do it everyday , rain , snow , huricane etc....
I have a rucksack and I wear an uniform at work , so I can go with cycling gears and change .

I just use older tyres . but I really need to get some .

I used to do it on the road bike , but not long enough really . and road shoes are a pain .

have spd on the road bikes :)
then have road/offroad shoes, so no matter if one gets soaked

Back