Coolwall Oct 2010 - Saracen

Coolwall Oct 2010 - Saracen

• Cool

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Uncool

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Thanks Makster :cool:

I dont like Saracens .......................................................................................... much :razz:

001-4.jpg

004-3.jpg

It's probably fairly obvious from my collection of bikes that I do like the early Saracens. Up until 1997 they produced some good bikes, but the 1988 - 1992 period for me was their finest era. It should also be remembered that the company were one of the first from the UK to produce mountain bikes back in 1984.

Of course there is always the post 1997 period when the bikes, image and reputation of the Saracen brand nose dived, up until the original Saracen Cycles went into liquidation in 2006, to be reborn as Saracen Bikes soon afterwards.

Anyway back to the question.

The reason I like Saracens is that they were always sensibly equipped and built for durability rather than being super lightweight and disposable.
They ride nicely and some of the frame details are very nice too. Their powder-coating and decal graphics were of course legendary.

Ultimately, although they have produced some lovely bikes, I don't think they are cool, nor would I want them to be.

92KiliRacer06.jpg

1992 Kili Racer

92Traverse10.jpg

1992 Traverse

agree they lost their way but some great late eighties bikes and I do love the 1997 killi comp- very cool indeed.

Cool - one of the first British brands, early adopters of Magura brakes, wacky colour schemes, plenty of mud clearance, e-stays :cool:

I deliberated on this one. Usually my opinion is formed in milliseconds (if it's not preconceived).

I agree that the late '80's & particularly early '90's were Saracen's hey-day but the brand completely went to shyte. E-stays, top cr-mo tubing & Maguras were stand-out features but like the Huffy brand, too much sewage had flowed under the Saracen bridge for me to give it the thumbs up.

Uncool for me.

From a Retro point of view they have to be cool, as others have said they lost their way, but they've a place in British MTB history.
Slightly off topic I quite like their Pylon rigid urban bike, especially in hub gear form :!:.

i do like a nice saracen and have owned a few, around the '91-'92 era was great
i even have a rather nice later model tufftrax frame, it is a lovely ride
so i vote cool

however... can we stop the halfords slating that is oh so common on here?
not liking it as it is "sold by halfords"... a bit pathetic don't you think?
do kona get the same?... GT perhaps? get over it...
cycling plus bike of the year... Boardman road team carbon. "sold by halfords"

Back