knutsford / northwich area? Macc Forest ride - 17/10/10

Ok. We'll go with the Sunday the 17th for a little regional meet up.

We'll probably keep to a fairly short route and take our time, unless the general opinion is to go a bit further or faster.

I'll start a thread up soon with directions and a meet up time. I reckon about 11am for an 11:30am start.

And mrlee, you are of course very welcome.

Turning into a proper meet this...! :D

Just heard back from Duncan (the lad who lives in Macc & is hoping to join us) and he's suggested an early start to avoid the worst of the Sunday foot traffic. Also offered some local knowledge & route advice on new bits of trail :cool:

I think Paul knows the place well anyway though? ;)

I'll suggest he signs up (what possible harm could come of it...? :twisted: :LOL: ) so he can post here :)

Looking forward to Sunday!

I don't mind when we start. Macc Forest is always busy on a Sunday though so an early start could be preferable.

There is a bit of an extra loop which we can add on as well. It takes in some trails away from the forest which will be much quieter (and more natural) too.

drystonepaul":x5czoyva said:
There is a bit of an extra loop which we can add on as well. It takes in some trails away from the forest which will be much quieter (and more natural) too.

Are there man-made trails in the forest then? Hadn't realised! It looks like I'm the slowest subscriber so far & I think you've an idea of what I'm up to (second loop on Sunday would've been ok, but I would have held you up), so should be cool :cool:

elPedro666":2amz1epg said:
Are there man-made trails in the forest then? Hadn't realised! It looks like I'm the slowest subscriber so far & I think you've an idea of what I'm up to (second loop on Sunday would've been ok, but I would have held you up), so should be cool :cool:

There's nothing man made in the trail centre definition of man made, but all the trails in the forest are either surfaced forest roads or paths.
It's a long way from being a trail centre thankfully.
The forest officially and legally opened up to bikers in 1994 when the 'forest bridleway' was designated. (I remember it well!)

'Charity Lane' which runs along the forest boundary is a rocky old unsurfaced and largely unmaintained county ride which of course makes it a great descent, especially when combined with a narrow track called 'Bottom of the Oven'. Riding in the southern half of the forest is mostly on a network of permissive bridleways on forest tracks. There have been a few new bits put in which are aimed at keeping bikers happy.

Out towards the north there is more good riding an a few bridleways and tracks, and to the east you can head out and up onto the moors for some great routes.

The good riding isn't always obvious on the map, but it is possible to piece together all the good bits.

Hi there. I'm the aforementioned local lad from elPedro's post up there^^ and have a pass out for Sunday too, so thanks very much for the invite!

All I can add is to suggest something like a 9am start from somewhere like the Leather's Smithy to avoid the thronging masses of red socks (and loads of those other mountain biker types :D ) clogging the place up. There's good on road parking at that time of day, but leave it much later and you'll struggle, unless you're riding up there.

I'm a bit limited in terms of wheels at the mo, so it's the boring modern full suss for me, if that's going to be ok? All the old projects have gone to new homes, and no, I don't need any encouragement for another one, thank you very much! I'll keep an eye on the thread but am really looking forward to the ride.

Cheers.

Back