How much and best place to find one???

ScottishRetro

Devout Dirtbag
Ok

Im looking for my first complete ready to ride Vintage steed before I go down the long track of not having the correct tools for a job and hours of seaching for the correct frame date and colour code that comes with restoring anything :x... (That will come later)

Where is the best place to find these bikes?? over the years I have been put off Idiotbay due to everyone now being a dealer in any said field they happen to be selling in be it Motorcycles,cycles or cross dressing etc

What is the tried and test method for getting a nice bike for a non rip off price???

I think the fire has been lit when I sore a old chap when I was out on my morning ride this morning up Epping with a beautiful Celestre Binachi Rekord (No he would not sell it :evil: )

Any help is appreciated...

both mine have come from classified ads on my club's website.

clubs often have older members with old bikes that periodically get cleared out to make room for new stuff. fixed wheel bikes are often offered as they are often rarely used by those who used them as commuters but have now retired, or have moved from racing to touring as they have got older.

the plus side also, is that the bike will have been well looked after. the downside of that is that the amount of original equipment on the bike may be low.

both my old bikes have been sourced this way, for the princely sum of bugger all.

Clubs and me don't mix im a anti social git I must be getting older and turning into my dad :LOL: ...

No really thanks for that and a good idea..

To be honest im not quite at the anorak stage yet of needing everything to be 100 perfect just want a good bike that is ready to ride..

what you after size and type of bike always a good start

got a nice Gazelle tourer 531 framed bike for sale 22 3/4" frame all the bits and pieces for touring asking £150 area , will ship to most uk post codes any good ?

Frame size would be around a 50-52 with a TT lengh no longer than 55.. Due to a lack of weetbix in my younger days im a short ass and a odd shape, (Long body and short legs just think of ET or a penguin :shock: )

Im just finishing off a Fixed Raleigh Ti frame at the mo will then be on the hunt for a new project.. Would like something like a Peugeot PX-10 or even a Raleigh Royal I have seen both locally in the past week but people are stating to ask silly money for older steel bikes at the moment regardless of condition :roll:, but im open to most things..

A complete bike would be great but would have to be the right price but to be honest I may well start by finding the right frame and building it up..

Thanks

I'd also try cycle jumbles - you can often get very, very nice frames (but in appallingly scruffy condition) for around £30-40, well below eejutbay.

yep a few people have said that to me just waiting for one to come up near me (East London).. I have been checking lfgss for jumble dates etc..

Condition is not a big issue as im fairly good with the restoration side of things, just need to know what to look out for and that only comes with time and experience :twisted:.. But do get fed up when people a trying to sell sub standard items for premium prices..

Back