Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

john

The Guv’nor
Admin
Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Next up on the coolwall we have a British brand which may not be familiar to members outside the UK. Saracen (named after the metal band - perhaps) were originally based in Warwickshire and are now owned by Madison.

So, cool or not.

Can the well regarded late 80s / early 90s models like this

20100210botmfeb1001heathysaracen.jpg

make up for the late 90s / early 00s straight to Halfords 'Saracins' (there, I said it first ;)).

18919499_253.jpg

That's a hard one. They made some ace bikes in the 80's. Those 89 models with bright pastel colours and 'Stock Aitken and Waterman' decals were nice to ride and looked good. From there on it went tits up. The earlier FW Evans bikes are cool in retrospect but at the time they didn't look as sexy as the Californian dream we were being sold.
As to being cool. Well, again the early bikes were very good but they just got on with the job, a bit like a Breville Sandwich Toaster. You couldn't call one of those cool. Also I owned one in 1989 but I also had a mullet so I can't possibly say it was I time when I knew what cool was :oops:

So in summary, workman like, even attractive at times but cool in general terms?

Maybe not.

Voted cool as my 89 Tufftrax was just about the coolest thing I'd ever seen when I got it and is the reason I'm on this site 21 years later.

Must admit I lost interest in the brand around 93/94 and was very sorry to see how low they sank in the 2000's but as this is retrobike they will always be special and cool for me. :cool:

The bad nearly outweighs the good, but most of us would have owned a "proper" saracen as our first bike so definately cool. :cool:

Never really liked them either :oops:
BUT I do like the more modern Zen and Mantra hardtails.
As for the new line up, they could well be resurrected with some really nice looking full bounce bikes (Myst DH and Ariel).
Got to say uncool for the old models though :(

Latest posts

Back