Did they ever make an 8-Speed Freewheel Screw On Block??

Most of the eight speed screw ons I've seen have been of the MTB/touring ratio persuasion. So, yes 8 speed screw ons are relatively common, but rare if you want a reasonably small granny sprocket. Something with, say, 21 teeth on the big sprocket would be fairly hard to come by.

Just out of interest though, why would you bother? Especially when 8 speed cassettes and cassette hubs are as common as muck and can be had for pocket money. The spacing from the dropout to the bearing on an eight speed screw on setup is huge, you'll be snapping axles every ten miles.

freewheel

I need it for my raleigh pro from 1987
It has Royce hubs fitted to mavic OR10 gold tubular rims suitable for screw on blocks,i have full Dura-ace 7402 8-speed groupset.

All fine, but the fact remains that an eight speed screw on puts the drive side bearing miles away from the dropout and, as such, puts the axle under enormous strain. In terms of design and practicality it's frankly awful.

I'm even beginning to wonder if many screw on hubs could be offset far enough to take an eight speed on a 130mm OLN. The only road (-ish) bike I can recall owning with an eight speed screw on was a tourer spaced at 135mm and that went to a cassette hub after I broke the second axle.

daccordimark":2jox29mw said:
pigman":2jox29mw said:
NickD":2jox29mw said:
TBH I could do with a Campag spaced one!!
A shimano 7 speed is the same spacing as campag 8, so you could use one of these. You would of course "lose" one cog, the campag name and need a non-campag hub ..... but if you're desperate its an idea.

The hub won't matter - it's a screw on type.
That would do the job.

Gareth - that is the reason they didn't last long in period, they had a habit of snapping axles. Still, it's a reasonable way of using a set of wheels I already own in an 8 speed setup, even if only temporarily,

GarethPJ":jlybxlpf said:
All fine, but the fact remains that an eight speed screw on puts the drive side bearing miles away from the dropout and, as such, puts the axle under enormous strain. In terms of design and practicality it's frankly awful.

I'm even beginning to wonder if many screw on hubs could be offset far enough to take an eight speed on a 130mm OLN. The only road (-ish) bike I can recall owning with an eight speed screw on was a tourer spaced at 135mm and that went to a cassette hub after I broke the second axle.

I used to ride a set of wheels built on Sachs New Success hubs with a 130mm screw-on rear. Used them for road and cross for about 5 years with no bother at all (I had to change one cartridge bearing in the front hub, but that was about it), but foolishly sold them thinking that replacement freewheels would be unobtainable once SRAM had gobbled up Sachs (not realising that NOS would still be knocking around for a while and Zenith would start doing off-the-shelf ones in time) and went for cassette hubs instead. Wish I'd kept them! :(

David

So could any one tell me if these are screw on, as they are 8 speed Shimano that I am selling here http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=119436

mavic4.jpg

I bet you any old style cycle shop will have a pile of them under a bench. Mastercraft in Hereford still have the traditional workshop board with individual sprockets . Malliard turned into Sachs I believe?? and they used to make them. They don't break often, mine never have on a CX bike.

Back