Dave Lloyd, Reynolds 753 fillet "chaos theory"...

Defender":37cf1c9a said:
That's quite some story.
I'd go along with the original paint scheme, you can't really better that can you?, is the pink over black original?

hi and thank you for your thoughts and feed back, the frame is still in its original colour, (pink and black), i have thought long and hard over the paint scheme and i am at a loss as to what to do to be honest. Dave lloyd rode his own bike which was called "THE PINK MACHINE", im just unsure if a bike with that much pink would inspire me to ride it, :?

gibbleking":1z04uk5n said:
just dont fit barends...or there will be .........................trouble. :D

dont panic, i never used barends bitd, so i dont think i will end up needing to use them now... :LOL:

marin man":2040j8ta said:
Blasphemy young xerxes :LOL: it must stay as per the original paint finish,if not you are just altering history.....best leave that to the american movie scene I reckon :LOL:

thank you for your feedback and thoughts on this, i certainly value all feedback.

i had a similar issue with the refinishing of my konas, wether to or not, and then wether to refinish/restore them to there original colours.

i certainly feel like id like to keep to daves original idea, but got to say i just dont do pink, i have thought long and hard on this, and have since posting this thread had several conversations with argos, and mark made a very valid point which i had completely missed......"the frame was "custom" built to order, and the buyer for whom it was made, could have any colour option, in any format they wanted, and the original choices were endless", as long as it has daves decals on them you cant go wrong".

this kind of made me feel a lot more at ease, about loosing the originality, of the frame, but sadly has brought me no closer to making a decision on what to do.

http://s850.photobucket.com/albums/ab65 ... urrection/

http://s850.photobucket.com/home/Sinnerman_2010/index

maverick":3jhc0rjg said:
NoNoNo, this is a Great British frame made buy a Great builder, in fact, a master builder. The original colour was in its time, novel at best, Pink and Black, not really my cup of Lady Grey tea.

It needs to represent the Great nation that we are, the union flag (its only a union jack when flown from a ship) should be included somehow in the paint scheme, dunno how you are going to do it, but hey.

The guys at Argos are master frame builders with decades of experience, they can probably paint anything, anyway i can't really see you riding any bike with pink on the frame, can you?

I like the idea of contrasting frame components against the finishing colour, also that the colour has to not draw they eye away from the design and quality of the build. Finish with a set of good looking Pace RC35's.

maverick, i love the idea of the union flag, you know me, (british by birth english by the grace of god and all that........lol...), but i totally convinced that a flag would work on say a santa cruz / orange frame, with a big paint area, but the tubes are very slim 753, and im unsure if it would look right..........i dont think you would end up doing the flag justice.

also due to the fact that there is a lot of work to do to the original forks, im not going to count my chickens untill ive heard back from mark at argos ref there achievable finished condition. im a little gutted actually as i had a set of mint pace rc35s, untill a while ago, and then sold them to another rb member so they could finish there build.

paint and component choices.......

what to do........ive promised myself, as ive got to make a decision on the paint im going to have to make a choice by the 13th or it will never get done in time....... :( on wednesday ive got to be in bristol on business so the 13th is "D" day, for me.

then ive still got the massive dilema over how to build the bike spec wise.

back in the day, boutique custom british builders, use to have all sorts of trouble buying shimano, (i think it was all about volume, and discounts etc), hence, a lot of builders used suntour and campagnolo, both of which are very good quality, suntours "penderson" designed self energising brakes were awesum and mega power for there era, and the finish of campagnolo euclid/centaur was flawless, but in all honesty, i never felt, either had the exceptional gearchange capabilities of shimano.

(case in point----i have the suntour group on my tbg explosif, stunning brakes, and now i have fitted a shimano r/hub/cassette, the gear change quality has improved 100%)

i have thought of using sum road parts,(durace hubs etc) as dave lloyd has such historic road history, or even going the campag route, and trying to build a bike using parts soley from europe, ie nothing japanese, but d/lloyd, did use tioga t bone stems, even project two"s/syncros/tange forks, etc, so i dont really know which way to go....? :?

http://s850.photobucket.com/albums/ab65 ... urrection/

http://s850.photobucket.com/home/Sinnerman_2010/index

pale sky blue...custom head badge with the round union flag adorned with an extended v...rather fitting methinks

..........a brain wave.........

gibbleking":261jqg3d said:
pale sky blue...custom head badge with the round union flag adorned with an extended v...rather fitting methinks

mmmmmmm, your suggestion has given me an idea..........thank you...!!!

i do like the colour blue and i would certainly like to keep to dave lloyds original ideas, and i really like the thought of the union flag.

.....watch this space, and i shall keep you posted. :cool:

build specification........

...for just the purposes of the beauty of it, campagnolo components i feel would be my first choice, for the build. But, with this said, although i would wet myself, every time i looked at those gorgeous campag euclid brake levers etc, what campag i have found is making telephone numbers when n.o.s, so beacuse of this fact, and that i do actually want to ride this bike as often as i can, (and it would break my heart if i came off the bike in my old age and damaged the campag kit), i think i will be spec"in it with shimano components after all. theres plenty of it out there at sensible money, and if i damage it i can replace it.

so sum things id like to find if anyone can help.....????

mavic ma40 rims in black, xt hubs.
shimano deore xt groupset.
shimano durace headset.
polished /chrome handlebars...must be in good order?
shimano deore xt seatpost,...must be 27.2 and in good order,

elPedro666":2nivf6r6 said:
The clock's ticking, this is very exciting! :cool:

...... :? i keep making desicions and then changing my mind, :? :? :? :? ive kinda got to the point now where i feel there is no real right or wrong way of painting it. :eek: For me, the fact that i have something which to me is very special, and a very long time coming does make me very nervous, normally im not at all like this, its a case of .......right ill paint it this colour, use those decals, and build it with this group.....but this frame is a different kettle of fish all together....i certainly want to do justice to the frame builder, and have it inkeeping with his original philosophy, spec wise i would love to build a garage queen to admire and look at but, it would never happen, all my bikes get ridden, as often as i can, and when i was 16, reynolds 753, was so far out of my reach it was untrue, i wanta ride it and experience it, the build spec, i will want to be robust, yet replaceable.

no doubt by the time ive driven to bristol had my meeting, and got there i will have changed my mind again............ :?

Back