Roadie pedals.

amt27":13xgb5nr said:
Agree - dont get road pedals for commuting or start/stop/start/stop.... riding, they rarely engage on first attempt and are designed to connect you to the pedals for several hours of continuous riding.

Well one out of three (the last point you make about being connected to the pedals for several hours) isn't a total disaster....

Firstly....
Do you need to walk in your shoes?
If yes, then do not buy road pedals (except possibly the "granfondo" Shimano type). If no then go to next question.

How often do you need to stop at traffic lights?
If often - can you do track stands?
If you can't, avoid Time pedals. Consider speedplay,SPD-L or look.
If you can, avoid new Time pedals. Consider older version despite weight, if you can find some anywhere.

Will you use all year round?
If yes - avoid speedplay. I'd go for SPD-L Ultegra as best price/quality equation.
If no - choose speedplay. If you can't get in and out of Speedplay pedals then you should give up cycling as a bad job. They do need greasing often though.

Using shoes to walk...yes.

Traffic lights...yes, lots.

Trackstand...about a minute.

All year round...yes.

Looks like the Ritchey Mountain Pro compromise again.

Interesting, I have always ridden mtb pedals on my road bike.

One thing I have noted now that I have got into triathlon is that you do often see other people struggling to clip in at the start of the bike section.

I also use some Nike shoes which are inbetween a road and mtb shoe - no aggresive sole pattern but still a bit of flex which works well.

Those Ritchey pedals look intersting though.

Back