Llandegla 10-10-10 Aftermath

Sidewinder

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Just a quick thank you to everyone who turned up today in eventual glorious sunshine for a great ride, with great company and even better organisers. Oh a congrats to Harry Crumb on winning the "Bike of the Ride" award with his very tidy Orange. I'm sure a torrent of pics will arrive in subsequent posts but unfortunately mine's still in the case(thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it. One final note Must go to Pete ElPedro666 for "winning" the Navigation award (post 117) and the"Good Housekeeping Award" for being the best prepared bike cleaner complete with bucket chamois and bike stand ;) once again.
Thanks for turning up and hope to see you all out on the next NW&NW ride. :LOL:

Had a great day today,
  • NW&NW birthday/anniversary
    10.10.10 10:10
    sunshine
    lovingly crafted metalwork
    happy faces
    new faces
    lots of fun
Black runs & RetroBikes, it't the future I tell thee.

Here's a few pics, not the best due to technical inabilities of the camera operative:
http://cid-37f1732b86534bcd.photos.live.com/play.aspx/101010?ref=1

Google KML file:
http://eb7vtg.blu.livefilestore.com...ling LLandegla 10-10-2010.kml?download&psid=1

GPX/GPS file:
http://zkb8rg.blu.livefilestore.com...056CjF9xUOt/llandegla_blk.gpx?download&psid=1

Thank you all for a great day out,
my apologies for not being able to say goodbye to you all,
Lizzie is still on her death bed and is requiring a constant supply of clean buckets :shock:

I look forward to more retro bike adventures :cool:

had a great day got round with few problems also great to see alot of you been long time since gisburn

Look, I have to keep them in the lounge, so they go home spotless okay...? :oops: :LOL:

I figured out the post thing at last - 111 to 117 is the extension of the black route off the black route, not the original extension of the black route off the red route. It's written on the wall in the loo... :shock: :LOL:

Cracking day, thanks very much for everyone who put the hard work in to get it all together, great bunch of folks & some lovely old metal! :cool:

A good day at Llandegla, mainly thanks to the unexpected sunshine and expected quality banter... still don't care for the Axminster Disneyland-style tracks through otherwise spectacular woodlands on the hillside. Air is for airheads in my book!

The thoughts of Woody's Powerlite forks crumpling at any stage was a constant worry; Dave and I managed to resist the temptation of awarding Sinnett another BotR sticker (they are all his after all...); more converts were arrested by our nostalgic cavalcade; decent grub before and after - were personal highlights.

Mr K

Great days riding today with the usual high levels of fun with a great bunch of people.

NWA-Llandegla-01.jpg

mrkawasaki : Sarah : Woody : drystonepaul : Pogo : Sidewinder : mr_ship : sinnett177 : elPedro666 : HarryCrumb : Easy_Rider : stewlewis : andybag : Jim : Kiran (taking photo)

Ride Report: Part One

Arriving at Llandegla on a Sunday is a bit like turning up at a golf club. It's full of expensive cars, full of expensive gear with plenty of conversations about how much the latest gadget cost.
Even at 9:15am it was getting difficult to find a space amongst all the carbon fibre Giantrekialized overkill full suspension adorned BMWs.

Fortunately there was an antidote to all this modern nonsense dispensed straight out of 1992 in the form of the Retrobike NW&NWA retrogrouch all stars.
Besides which it was our first birthday and the NW&NWA are all about the party.

While studying a colourful trail map, we discussed the 'gnarly' but 'do-able' black runs over breakfast baps and coffee.
The retro bike rack was gradually filled up with the now usual high standard of rusty old bikes, polished to within an inch of their braze ons.

NWA-Llandegla-02.jpg
NWA-Llandegla-03.jpg

Count 'em in, Rack 'em up, ride 'em out, Rawhide!

There were a few appreciative nods from passers by wheeling some admittedly nice looking but ultimately modern bikes. That yellow Santa Cruz had really been murdered with orange ano though, but I digress.

By this point Mr K's 'I can't believe I'm actually riding at a trail centre' attitude was really rubbing off on me, and I even considered packing up and going home in protest at the prospect of sharing the Scalextric trails with a bunch of wheezing soft tails, but as we'd all come all this way...

NWA-Llandegla-04.jpg

mr_ship casts his eye over the fine selection of bikes.

With everyone itching to get riding, Sidewinder stepped forward to give a rousing welcoming speech. Mr K stood alongside to translate the incoherent parts for his audience and, suitably inspired, we were soon on our way.

NWA-Llandegla-05.jpg

The men in yellow at the helm of the good ship NWA.

We'd carefully consulted the information board and decided that the 'intermediate level red trail' was within everyone's ability, and it gave us the option to tackle the 'expert level black graded sections' which came part way through the ride. For now though, it was all about the 2.5 mile opening climb.

NWA-Llandegla-06.jpg

HarryCrumb speeds up the climb on the Clockwork he'd built up the night before.

NWA-Llandegla-07.jpg

Andybag completes his NWA retro hatrick on a borrowed Grisley

NWA-Llandegla-08.jpg

Another last minute assembly. elPedro666 on his Dyna Tech followed by Sinnett177 on his titanium rust magnet.

NWA-Llandegla-09.jpg

Keeping up with the Jones'. Mr K selects a full suss Intense Uzzi from his underground bike bunker for today's trail centre mission

The incline was indeed a good warm up and quickly saw layers being shed, revealing in some cases, more layers of horrendous early nineties lycra.
As the group re-gathered at the top of the climb, Mr K noticed his saddle wasn't straight a set about his back pack in search of an allen key.
The first official mechanical of the ride was of course graciously supported by fellow riders, especially as Mr K's multi-tool appeared to consist of nothing more than a bunch of yellow zip ties...

NWA-Llandegla-10.jpg

The importance of being earnest. A photo documentary.

NWA-Llandegla-11.jpg

Words of encouragement from the rest of the riders. In the foreground Sidewinders bike was still not broken

After handing over an allen key the problem was rectified and we remounted to roll on towards the start of the descents...

Part two coming soon.

Hi all,

I had the pleasure of meeting you all today, quite randomly. I was doing my own thing at Llandelga, stopped to wait for a couple of mates, and there you all were, in full 1992 mode !! At least I was wearing a 1992 long sleeved Endura MTB jersey, but that was about as retro as I got today.

It was great meeting and chatting to everyone. The trip to Marin county sounds awsome, I hope that goes well.

I thought you were all thoroughly nice people, which doesn't surprise me as this has always been a top forum.

Here are a few photos from today (slow loading from home server). They're a bit kak, but that's what you get from using a phone for a camera.

I'll keep an eye out for the next ride and try to meet up. I've not got anything 'retro' to ride any more, but do have some great cycling clothes/shoes from 1990 !

blizzard.jpg

|
cantis.jpg

|
clockwork.jpg

|
dynatec-ti.jpg

|
parkpre.jpg

|
ti-mega.jpg

|
traverse.jpg

Had a great time on Sunday, great to see old faces as well as new. Thought Dave and Neil did a great job in guiding us all around the Llandegla trails. I enjoyed the trails but as Neil mentioned, sanitised trail centres aren't the old school flavour many of us are looking for. But it was the good company and conversation that made for a great day. Think a reclassification of the 'black route' is necessary though, same trails just bigger berms on the corners :shock:

I have some pics on my camera which i'll post up later in the week.

Back