'95 Kona AA

Thanks for the encouragement coomber. I think if i had the tools to do it, i would give it a try.

Something to save for the next bike i get my grubby mits on :D

I would definitely recommend Humbrol or other modelling paint rather than Halfords. The reason being that Halfords sells complete kits for specific cars at £15 a throw and until you've bought one and tried it you can't tell whether the colour is anywhere near right. Humbrol is £1.50 a tin, so you can risk it or even mix colours. With your graphics knowledge, you'll know much better than me. As the paint is metallic, you'll never match it perfectly, but you just want something that isn't noticeable.

It's never a bad idea to remove the bb, but it isn't really necessary if it's totally silent when you turn it by hand with your your ear right next to it. If it rumbles though, it's on its way out. If you like, I could drop round and remove it sometime if need be.

You bought your next project already :shock: :shock: :LOL: :LOL:

Going to look good max ;)

rojo":3l03jmuz said:
You bought your next project already :shock: :shock: :LOL: :LOL:

Going to look good max

Not just yet mate. infact the only way i think i'll be allowed to do that is if i turn this one over to her :roll:

Anthony":3l03jmuz said:
I would definitely recommend Humbrol or other modelling paint rather than Halfords

Sussex Modelling Shop it is then, and thank you very much for the offer of help, that really means a lot :D

i did the ear/turn test this afternoon, and it wasn't totally silent, but it did seem very smooth. :?

I've had another minor set back with the front cogs and they seem fairly knackered. I'm not sure which eyes i was using when i looked at them the first and second times, but it was obviously the wrong ones..

I'm going to re-fit them anyway and see what happens.

also, i bashed the headset about today but it's claiming squatters rights in the frame and won't budge :evil:

Good things that happened today..
- I got a part worn chain and corresponding 8 speed XT cassette (very pleased about that, thank you Steve!)
- rojo sent me a headset
thumbsup.gif

- Missing bits should be collected tomorrow after a quick phonecall this afternoon.
- a very tidy Kona top arrived for the missus from Rotwild, ta mate (this may not be so good, she is keeping a very close eye on this bike)

did some pics..

cranks before
IMG_20101008_191221.jpg

cranks after
IMG_20101008_204318.jpg
IMG_20101008_204327.jpg

not amazing, but not bad for a couple hours work

What's wrong with those cranks?

Err, no what I meant to say was those cranks are rubbish, but it would be a shame to put them in the bin, so I'd be willing to give you 50p for them. :p

It would be only fair to warn those headset cups that if they won't cooperate, somebody might come round with a steel Marzocchi steerer and a big hammer, and they wouldn't like that, would they?

Anthony":1codjchy said:
What's wrong with those cranks?

Err, no what I meant to say was those cranks are rubbish, but it would be a shame to put them in the bin, so I'd be willing to give you 50p for them. :p

It would be only fair to warn those headset cups that if they won't cooperate, somebody might come round with a steel Marzocchi steerer and a big hammer, and they wouldn't like that, would they?

not after all my hard work!

Was that an offer Anthony? I may take you up on it if they refuse to budge after some more abuse today

out and about this afternoon

All the man in the shop could find from the list of missing bits was the seat and seat post, which is ok considering all i thought i was getting when i made the offer was the frame

The seat is definitely past its useful days but the post is tip top. I have a picture, but very cleverly i left my phone charger at work.

Also made that trip to the model shop..

DSC01081.jpg

mixing and painting fun to be had :D

Right, just so you lot don't think i've been slacking...

rescued seat post and very worn out seat

IMG_20101009_173450.jpg

and cleaned the rims, this is an inbetween before and after shot (cleaned bit is on the right btw :p)

IMG_20101009_144839.jpg

now..a question, How on earth do i remove a head set that will not budge?

Tried half a can of WD40, steerer tube and mallet so far...i think it may have moved a mm, but no more. :? :(

If the headset cups are that stuck, take them to the LBS.

Nice you have the original seatpost, they are cool.

Back