The one and only "HOW MUCH IS MY xyz WORTH" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
daddymack":1d15nfs4 said:
It's definately metal/weld type material I tried to grind it back to get the post down with limited success, hence my welding guess, It's not rust tho the bottom of the tube IS more muck type!
2nd pic shows it best but not perfectly it definitely restricts the diameter less than the sleeves even.

Probably need to start a thread see if anyone knows. Maybe it was reamed after a stuck seatpost or for a different size (e.g. to a now common 27.2) and stopped there, could be what you say a fix.

daddymack":2ngih69a said:
It's definately metal/weld type material I tried to grind it back to get the post down with limited success, hence my welding guess, It's not rust tho the bottom of the tube IS more muck type!
2nd pic shows it best but not perfectly it definitely restricts the diameter less than the sleeves even.
My advice would be to take it to a decent bike shop and ask them what they think the white stuff is and what the explanation could be.

I find it a puzzle. On the one hand, it looks as though the tube has only been reamed down to just above the white bubbles - in which case it needs to be fully reamed anyway. On the other hand, that may be just a coincidence. But what surely can't be a coincidence is if the white bubbling is at exactly the same depth as the bulging on the outside. And if the pin hole on the outside of the seat tube is exactly where there is a white bubble inside.

One possibility is that this is nothing to do with a crack, but there have been one or more small rust holes that have been repaired. It isn't impossible for rust to form underneath a paint blister and go right through the tube before it becomes apparent. If such a hole was small and there was no spread, a decision could quite properly have been taken that it didn't affect the structural integrity of the tube. In that case, it might have been filled with braze and repainted, on the basis that it was perfectly sound.

What doesn't make sense is for it not to have been deeply reamed. If I had that kind of repair, I would want a long seat post going as far down the tube as possible, well past the repair, so as to minimise the strain on the repair. As it stands at present, the strain on the repair is maximised. Looking on the bright side, perhaps it demonstrates the repairer's confidence in his work?

I know it sounds a bit dodgy, but people often drill things deliberately, to save weight.

Still, it's hard to judge from a photo (however good!), so this is just conjecture really. I feel sure an experienced bike shop proprietor would have seen something like this in the past.

Lol ok the "reaming" from about 5-7" below the rim, was me with a grind wheel on a drill, the first 5 " are clean and original.
Maybe I should seek a pros advice (as such) but get suspicious of those making money from the business...

What would be a good price for a Giant CFM frame?

It has no marking as a 1 - 2 or 3 type, it doe not even has the Giant decals, it is bare...

gracias

rudymexico":2cvscwoc said:
What would be a good price for a Giant CFM frame?

It has no marking as a 1 - 2 or 3 type, it doe not even has the Giant decals, it is bare...

gracias

Depends on if you are either buying or selling ;) :LOL:

yes, I think they are toplines.
I've seen some silver ones in the for sale ad's up for £50
Any idea of a price for purple ones?

retrokona":2k3bkgpc said:
yes, I think they are toplines.
I've seen some silver ones in the for sale ad's up for £50
Any idea of a price for purple ones?
£10 less as they're purple and scuff easier. Again they are purple ;)

I have got a Shimano Airlines complete kit. A friend of mine wants to buy it but I don't know how much money I should ask him.
The kit is brande new, still in the original box.
I know that's very rare (especially in NOS condition) but I don't know the real value, could you help me?

22.jpg

thinking about parting with my 2000 saracen x-ess jumpbike , still have the receipt from new :D

IMG_0304.jpg

it's a ss with just a v-brake on the rear

any ideas ? :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back