BOX CNC brake levers

obi-wan-mtb

Retrobike Rider
gee, I was very surprised I could pick these up a few weeks ago:

box-levers-1.jpg

Nice!
Never seen these before in real life (only a few on this forum....) and now I am the proud owner of a set :D .

Dunno much about them, although I read they are from 1997?

Anyone knows how long BOX was in business?

Did they make other parts?

What was the retail back in the days? I read £ 200 but that sounds silly :? , were they realy that expensive?

I did install them for a few rides, way different than my XT v- brake levers, these BOX levers are huge!
Since I was afraid to crash and break these babies I did re-install the XT blades and guess what: I did stupidly fall with my bike (just at 5 mph) and the XT brake lever hit my frame leaving a big mark and a bended lever! woooh, lucky the BOX lever wasn't on there!
But then again, what is the use of them lying in the drawer?
So probably they will be on the bike again real soon!

ps: not for sale ;)

plea..........any one got a set of those adjusters? (quite how that would happen).....if so cash waiting.

They were designed by Dan Soleto, the ex head honcho at Onza and did have a retail of nearly £200! They were made in 1997 (as shown by the serial number engraved on them). Have a feeling that the high price put loads of people off though and most people who own them on this forum got them at a greatly reduced rate (think I paid £50 for mine) a while after 1997.

I alway find the levers to be really big (it's the width of the blades more than anything), but I do notice that my hands are less tired using them on a long ride than with normal ones. Wouldn't worry too much about using them though, I don't think that they are too fragile. Get 'em on your bike, they are so much nicer than any XT!

simon is the man to ask, he bought all of dannys old remaining stock. I test rode cambria bike sub 19lb merlin XLM with a set of box levers in 99 & loved em enough to get some :)

heh simon are you reading this ;)

by the way what 8 sp shifters (other than thumbies) fit nicely with these, cos tried the levers with pods and don't seem to work together........just wondering :?

the guy who bought the parts from Simon is sorting them out at the moment , he is reproducing the missing bits .

I am reading, but I think everything has been answered. I brought everything Danny had left, but he had mislaid the adjusters and the assembly tools. I built up a fair number of pairs and sold them, and then sold the rest of the parts to someone in France who was going to get adjusters machined up for the rest of the levers.

However much I loved them, the only shifters I could get them to work with OK were some windowless XT 8spd pods, though there must be other stuff that'll work with them - I'd imagine gripshift might?

Latest posts

Back