1998 Rockhopper resurrection

04102010134.jpg

There you go.

I'd get some decals on, liking your subtle ideas though.
Colour looks good from the photos.

Might do....I'll build him up naked first and then evaluate whether he wants logos allover him or stealth simplicity. I like stealth. Especially if I can swing a set of Pace RC36's.....just about to find out..... :cool:

If not he'll be wearing Atom's with stripped naked metal looking legs....

That's IT! NO MORE BUYING PARTS! Just bought a 34t front ring and set up a deal for a pair of Marzzochi Atom's with a friendly chap called Brian on here, and ordered the necessary 73mm bb from CRC. NO MORE!

Once this lot arrives (hopefully before the weekend) there will be building, birth, pics, testriding and grinning! :cool:

Right....

Had a little time today, so decided to start putting him together, although the sus forks and the chainring are not here yet. But felt the need to see whether the old headset was going to work as well......

BB in, Headset, fork and stem on...

06102010141.jpg

....and today's end product with the old Specialized bars for now (waiting for black Spesh risers), the now blank DiaCompe levers and Ritchey WCS foam grips.....and a brown Spoon :D :cool:

06102010144.jpg

...oh, and a nice new SRAM cassette and some carbon spacers on the steerer that you can't see......

06102010145.jpg

More tomorrow, got to rush off now.....dying to ride her.... :cool: :cool: :cool:

Sorry for the shitty pic quality....shite phone, and no camera at the mo. Will sort camera for the final shots though!!!

;)

Hopefully tomorrow the chainring will arrive, in which case I'll assemble the rest and take him for a street ride in anticipation of the riser bars and sus fork which will hopefully come in before the weekend....and then hit dirt a lot over sat and sun.......can not wait!

So.....she is done! :D :D :D :cool: :cool: :cool:

Here's the 'road' version....before the susforks arrived:

08102010148.jpg

....and then, early this morning the forks arrived, and the riser bars came last night.....so...

08102010153.jpg

...aaaand then we get the final version...:

08102010156.jpg

08102010158.jpg

08102010160.jpg

08102010162.jpg

So there we have it. I am grinning from ear to ear! :cool:

Haven't weighed her, but she's plenty light enough for me, especially for steel. And the 34t front/11-32t back seem to give me just what I need in gearing. Nice!!!!

Thought I might want to nitromors the forks down to metal stealth, but now it feels like it's just right the way she is dressed with red legs for a bit of zest.

Now I just have to learn how to ride clipped in...lol...yes, no comments please on the plastic adapters still on the candy c's....lol. Newbie, remember...

There shall be plenty of riding over the weekend, starting today and then I'll find out how we get on, but initial riding feedback is very pleasant indeed. :cool: :cool: :cool:

Thanks to everyone for your knowledge and the bits I found on here too. You know who you are. Cheers for infecting me with the bug. Let's see how long it takes until I have to build the next one. Ride this for a while and then see what it DOESN'T do I guess and then gather stuff to build something that does.....

LOVE the colour, definitely makes me certain that i'm want a brown charge spoon for my AA

lovely bike

Cheers! Just came back from virgin flight with crank brothers holding me to the crank arms.....loved it! This bike should keep me very happy for a while!! :D :D :D :cool: :cool:

Climbs well (only my legs need to be stronger in either case...lol), accelerates well, and just generally feels sweeeeeet! And I do love the way she looks now too.

Couple of pics form the run :

08102010165.jpg

08102010167.jpg

And the shocks do just what I need Brian! :D Thought on first feel they might be a little stiff for my slight weight, but when at speed they do just enough to make things slip over the bumpage. Even jumped a couple of (very small...lol) jumps today, clipped in. This s*it is getting more addictive by the second. As long as I can keep my girlfriend sane in the face of my obsession....lol

Only one small thing is I need some chainring bolt spacers to get the ring out a tiny bit more, as when on the 11t in the back he slips off the outside front if pushed hard, so at the mo I have 7 safe gears ;)

Again, thanks to all for advice and ting, looks like I'm sticking around.....

Back