Cinelli Milano Road Stem

lclements

Old School Hero
Feedback
View
Here I have a Cinelli Milano Road stem, I think it is road anyway as the measurement was approx 70deg. As you can see from the pictures it is in a state, and it looks like someone partially sanded it, and sprayed it silver.. what a shame. The question really is do I re chrome it or sell as is? I have no wish to use it myself as it came off the Holdsworth La Quelda I am selling.
Can anyone give me any info on this part, and give me a rough estimate of unusualness... Its approx 140mm long, so I believe it is the longest produced.

Thanks in advance, here are some photos:
05102010671-600.jpg

05102010674-600.jpg

05102010673.jpg

Hard to see in the picture, but it clearly says Cinelli Milano. I have bolts and cone, but they are not in the picture.

Luke

Sold hundreds of these in the 1955/65 period. More popular with the badge on the top.
Looks like whats left of original chrome.

keithglos":3lef7ona said:
Sold hundreds of these in the 1955/65 period.

And as a result you'll still see a fair few of these for sale. But even though you see them quite often, I'd say they are pretty desirable now. I've not noticed many 140mm ones though.

Anyway, I had been looking for one, until I got a Titan stem instead from a nice guy on here, so watched a few on ebay.

I remember one lot of two stems for sale with no nose bolts on ebay in somewhere between v. poor condition and the type of condition of yours is in and I think even that lot sold for more than 50 pounds.

Hope that is of some type of help. If I was you though I'd get it rechromed and keep it just cause it'd be so shiny and pretty! I'm actually going to send a stem off to get rechromed at a place offering a good price. I can show you the result whenever I get it back if it is something you might be thinking of doing?

Out of interest Keith, how much did the badged ones sell for back in the day? They are scarily expensive now!

Badged were £1.50 I think, a bit less plain (27 shillings). Can't remember the importers, I think there were several, Holdsworthy? Ron Kitching imported the frames.
I have a longish one in poorish condition, must dig it out.
The expander was cast, and partially hollow.

Stem badge

I have a few original Cinelli stem badges that were never fitted to stems

Attachments

• Cinelli stem badge.JPG
    Cinelli stem badge.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 2,769
I would love to see your rechromed one, and maybe get company details :).
This is off a Holdsworth frame, so Holdsworthy must have,
and finally, how much would a stem badge be, and how could I fit it?

Luke

Cinelli drilled and tapped 2 holes, something like 2.5mm, and used shallow flat head screws (nickel plated brass?)

lclements":1ovsl1rd said:
I would love to see your rechromed one, and maybe get company details

It's a Titan and an unknown lugged steel stem rather than a Cinelli. I'm sending off tomorrow then will use one or the other on the bike I'm eventually building. I'm giving Madgett Cycles a try. I don't know who they use for chroming and I've no knowledge of them other than the great help they've given me via email. I'll post the results when I get them back.

Back