Yeah Baby (WTB Phoenix Content)

Simon

Senior Retro Guru
I've wanted a WTB Phoenix for as long as I've known about them - if only because virtually everyone who's ever ridden one has raved about the handling.

The two problems are that they're rare as hens teeth, and that they tend to come up quite small (i.e. until 1998 they didn't make anything larger than an 18" - and I'm at least 6ft 3in).

I was therefore quite excited when this came up on eBay as a complete bike the other day, and have spent the last 36 hours negotiating with the seller to sell me the frame alone. Voila, one 19.5" singlespeed WTB Phoenix. Given the low production volumes (5-600 frames over an 8 year period) and the relative rarity of both a singlespeed version and the largest size, I'd hazard a guess this might be the only one like this in existence:

6631_3.JPG

The build on this one will likely take me the winter (at least!) and will probably be Phils on 517s w/ White Industries freewheel, possibly a Potts Type II fork depending on how much they are, CK headset, post dependent on what size it needs to be (Moots layback?) 180mm Race Face Turbines, RF bars and stem, and perhaps just some cheap Avid SDs after I've splurged on all the rest of that!

Nice. Suprised that after all your searching (i've read your previous posts on this one) that you've put it in the for sale section ;)

(too excited poosibly eh simon that you forgot to check which forum you were posting in)

Damn - put that down to tiredness and too many glasses of red.

John - could you kindly move this?

Cheers,
S

Simon, you really have good taste and that frame looks immaculate. But just how low slung are those bottle cages, you'd need ape length arms to extract a bottle!

Let me know when you bore of it and I'll have it off you, preferably in time for MM next year (tongue firmly in cheek)

WTB Siting

Simon, you might like this one then - seen in Point Reyes, Marin County last week... :cool:

Apparently Mr Potts lives but a few miles up the road from Black Mountain Bikes, where this and many other lovelies reside.

Neil

Attachments

• WTB 3.jpg
    WTB 3.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 3,762
  • WTB 2.jpg
    WTB 2.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 3,762
  • WTB Phoenix.jpg
    WTB Phoenix.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 3,762
OOOOOooooowwwooooOOOooooow who's just come back from the holey land with lots of snappy photos then?

Mr K returns

Nice. My only problem now is I'm talking to Steve Potts about making a Type II to go on the front - and I'm sure it won't be cheap....

Well I won't have long to wait - the frame was collected yesterday afternoon from the seller, and will be with me by lunchtime tommorrow...>!

Back