L'Eroica 2010 - ride report

Hello, we bumped into you on the way home (at the airport) Nice meeting you and great photos/report!

Ant

Francesco Moser and the tale of Tuscan toothpaste...

Great report Ed, really captures the essence of a great event and just to emphasise the hospitality and great organisation.

From my perspective, having ridden a number of the Classics sportives including P-Rx, Flanders and Liege-Bastogne-Liege a few times, I was less daunted by the prospect of a long. tough day in the saddle but even then it was a lot tougher than I expected and shouldn't be under-estimated. I've been wanting to do this for about 5 years and it still exceeded my expectations.

Highlights for me included meeting the Gios family and them kindly giving me a nice cap and badge to go with the bike. One of the first long stretches of strada bianchi was shortly after Siena at 40k, and I caught a big Italian guy wearing a Sanson top, reminding me of one of my first pro cycling memories of a brief clip of the 1980 Paris-Roubaix with Francesco Moser and DeVlaminck on the World of Sport. I sat on 'Francesco's' wheel for a bit and then came forward for a pull, he dropped off after a slight drag and came back for a bit-and-bit. The climb up to the first feed saw him distanced and probably saved my legs - I saw him later on the run-in to the finish - some 2 hours after I finished.

Luckily I hadn't studied the route card in too much detail and the stage 6 15km dirt-road climb to Montalcino hadn't registered but certainly left a burning impression on my brain and quads. Luckily I missed the rain shower, but the effects were left on the road, resulting in the famed glutinous mud or Tuscan toothpaste - I'd taken the risk of 32mm file-tread cross tubs, but left little room for mud clearance. Consequently, the combination of the long, steep pitches and sticky mud made for slow progress. The sun came out shortly after and the roads dried quickly.

The other memorable stretch was after the feed at Monte Sante Maria - the profile was a steady climb, but more like three successive steep ramps - their steepness made traction marginal and most were resulting to walking I could barely keep my 42x28 rolling and my hip flexors are still hurting. Fortunately, the pain and suffering was inter-interspersed by some of the most glorious scenery I've had the pleasure of riding through.

I finally rolled into the finish around 5 - my strategy of taking longer breaks to ensure I stayed hydrated and topping-up the energy reserves kept it relatively painless - but my toeclips still hurt like hell. The arrival back in Giaole was incredible as you roll across the finish ramp to cheers from the crowd, to be furnished with wine, panneforte and various other goodies.

I went back to the car at 7pm as agreed with Ed as this was the official cut-off as darkness descended - but plenty of riders were still heading up the road. I rode back to the town centre to decline the finish experience again and waited for Ed. Asking when they finished, to the response of "when the last one arrives" I patiently awaited for Ed and the crowds still warmly applauded the late arrivals. Finally Ed finished after 8pm with his epic tale of descending the bianchi strada in the dark and we retired to the gymnasium to enjoy the last of the pasta party, pick up photos and snaffle enough food for breakfast.

In summary, a fantastic event that was well beyond my expectations and highly recommended for any fan of cycling, bikes and Italian hospitality - I'll happily share tips for next year and hopefully look forward to seeking some more Retro-bikers in Giaole next year.

stedlocks":24x9geuc said:
Who is going to organize the RB'er trip next year then?

I'm happy to let people know about registering, where I am staying etc. and then they can make the bookings as they prefer.

If you're putting your hand up to co-ordinate that would be great!

Again, thank you both for an enjoyable write up. I think I will try and make this my goal for next year or the year after.

1st on list - get fit enough

2nd on list - get suitable bike

ededwards":lbipogw1 said:
stedlocks":lbipogw1 said:
Who is going to organize the RB'er trip next year then?

I'm happy to let people know about registering, where I am staying etc. and then they can make the bookings as they prefer.

If you're putting your hand up to co-ordinate that would be great!

I'm crap at organisation.....I'll just tag onto whoever gets the best deal!!

I really want to do this tho.......on the Hetchins.

Couple of extra photos:

PrAiW.jpg

UODyu.jpg

Back