Best place to buy vintage?

oldgit

Retro Guru
Is it cyclejumbles?

I was on the look out for a 50s lightweight some time back, the one I got was thought to have been 50s but was 1969/70

Looking at Ebay a lot of the old stuff is hard to identify as a specific model, the sellers are often guessing about it's age or what it's made of, and the prices are mental.

Never won a thing on Ebay, and just lost a 1938 Claud frame that I would have loved to ride.
So are the jumbles the places to be?

There was certainly more 'Vintage Road stuff' in the cycle jumble that I have just been to than I have ever seen on RetroBike. I unfortunately don't know of any other forums dealing with the stuff.
And you've tried ebay.

Give 'Old Ned' a look up, he knows about the jumbles and clubs and things well older than me.

I'd put a wanted ad, on our for sale and wanted section, you never know your luck......
And check out Hilary Stone's adverts on london fixed gear website....

i posted something similar to this in reply to another thread, but basically it's appropriate here.

a great place to pick up vintage frames is from the classifieds of cycling club websites (especially your own club).

older members are known to clear out older bikes (to them an old clunker from their youth now superseded by better technology; to us, a classic old bike from an era of artisan frame building) and often fixed wheel bikes are gotten rid of as aged knees don't require them any more.

i've acquired both my vintage bikes this way. sometimes only the frame will be original though; keen clubmen riding for decades will often have upgraded and or replaced worn out original components. that said, i did get very lucky with my '51 claud butler which was basically hung in a garage for 40 years and came with many period parts. to contrast with my '58 carlton which had been converter to fixed and had modern wheels, replacement fork (crash damage), modern 'guards and spd pedals. during respray, some braisings for gears levers etc were removed, and braisings for a rack put on, so the frame is not as it was when it was new.

price paid? nowt for either.

mavesyn":3eg5v3c8 said:
PS..
Old Ned is only 21 you know..........................

Mental age - 3 (can't find a divide symbol on the keyboard!)

Jumbles is best - and 'least expensive' (ie cheapest!) - and you can haggle.

http://www.bikejumbles.co.uk/

Not always up to date but a useful guide.

That's a useful site, I'll have to look out for one nearby.

Anyway if you come across an old British frame think of me. 1940/50s Claud Butler or Raleigh Lenton that sort of thing. I like the old British 'Clubman' bikes old fixed ones even better.

Back