What tyres can cope with some road milage?

Maxxis Wormdrive

Cheap excellent on and off road. Got mine original fit on bike, after 11 years they are finally in need of replacing (thousands of miles on and off road).

51573.jpg

I've got a set of Schwalbe Marthon Plus, they're OK on dry trails, but I doubt they'd be much good on wet mud, there's really not that much tread pattern on them. As others have said they are heavy, 980g for a 26x1.75; a pair adds over 4lbs to the weight of the bike. :shock:

I've also got a pair of Schwalbe Hurricanes:

schwalbe_hurricane%3BWarehouse%3BWarehouse.jpg

These are lighter, though not as puncture resistant, roll just as well on tarmac and have some knobbly bits for off-road.

Are you looking for puncture resist or good performance? No point shackleing an rc200 with old army boots.

i believe in fixies":15xgdzhg said:
velomaniac":15xgdzhg said:
Schwalbe Marathons, there are many sub variants of this tyre, some are quite rugged, aimed at tourer types. CTC raved about 700c Marathons for years.

+1 for these

Used them for 18 months of day in day out commuting on road and farm tracks (swapped for spiked ice tyres in the snow). Stupidly replaced them with Contis when they wore out. Will be going back to Marathon Plus once the contis wear out. Pulled out a carpet tack, glass and flints without getting a puncture they were defeated by the hawthorn thorns at hedge cutting times though.

Each to their own I guess, but never again will I choose schwalbes. The marathon slick kevlar thingies constantly suffered sidewall splits and were only used on road (a number of splits over a period of a few months, so not a case of one-ride bad luck).
A mate suffered a massive centre tread blowout on his ultremo road tyre and they cost £50 a piece.
Like i said, never again.

Ive got conti goliaths on the town bike now - a smooth centre ridge with a knobbly outer corner tread. Not the lightest tho' but works on road, off road trails and on the local bmx track.

No pure slick will work on mud or snow

Latest posts

Back