Heavyweight new member seeking bike advice.

Another +1 for the 21" Hardrock (or Rockhopper), I've got a '97 that fits like a glove - height wise we're pretty similar (6'1", 32" leg) - possibly longer in the leg than yourself, but you can see from the pics in my sig link that the seatpost is pretty high. Anyway, rode it when I was 17st, and still ride it now I'm closer to 13 - no stress fractures so far :D

You can usually play about a bit with different stem lengths if you notice the cockpit feeling a little cramped (or stretched) without affecting the handling too much. I think the smallest size frame I'd personally go for is 19", although (as has been said) the top tube length is probably more critical than seat tube.

zigzag":1k6rtxw7 said:
Anyway, rode it when I was 17st, and still ride it now I'm closer to 13 - no stress fractures so far :D
Hmmm - thats good to know... Maybe I should just trust the Orange a bit more!

zigzag":1k6rtxw7 said:
You can usually play about a bit with different stem lengths if you notice the cockpit feeling a little cramped (or stretched) without affecting the handling too much.

The 130mm stem was bought yesterday! Hope that the 10mm extra will make all the diffs!

you should have shown face on sunday m8
we was in your woods
good few hours out

mike

Mikee, your not the man that once you were, first you buy a Spesh and now just a few posts back Lambert slags of GT's and you dont rise to the bait :shock:

velomaniac":7rxcrsyf said:
Mikee, your not the man that once you were, first you buy a Spesh and now just a few posts back Lambert slags of GT's and you dont rise to the bait :shock:

That shows that the medication is working :shock:

velo
makes it worse that he's got a rockhard as well ,tho he does say its a
bit agricultural

gritted teeth :LOL:

mikee":2ioqs9fl said:
velo
makes it worse that he's got a rockhard as well ,tho he does say its a
bit agricultural
gritted teeth :LOL:

Aaargh - I do apologise for any hurt feelings! It was not the intention!

Bullpup":2ioqs9fl said:
Thanks for the help everyone however just to confirm that I only have 30" inside leg.

Bullpup - I asked my wife to measure my inside leg but she just gave me the suspicious eye and a snort. Can't help you there in terms of comparison. But like the other people on the forum said - you'll probably be best off with a 19"-21" frame...

with 30 inch legs I would err towards an 18 inch frame but look for one with a longer toptube. 21inch would be like a road bike.

Well I gave the Bike Station a go yesterday afternoon - all very helpfull but nothing I really wanted in terms of ready to go Bikes so went to look at the frames. 2 or 3 potentials but nothing the right size until I spotted a Kona Fire mountain which looked the best choice. Unfortunately closer inspection showed the frame to have a hole in it so the trip looked a bust until one of the guys mentioned there was a bike going in todays Sale that might be right but if I was interested I would have to arrive early.

I arrived at 7.45 for a 10.30 opening and was only 8th in the queue ! By the time the doors opened there were over 50 people!!

I ended up with a nice Specialized Rockhopper Pro for a good price and while it may not be Retro, I am looking foward to giving it a good bash later on.

Thanks everybody for their help.

Can any one please point me in the direction of a good lube guide - many thanks

Back