And today I did......

kaiser":egum1812 said:
Dr S":egum1812 said:
zigzag":egum1812 said:
:LOL: :LOL: what kind of idiot would fit disc tabs to a FAT :roll:

Someone who likes going faster than you jessies?

;)

How do you go faster by fitting better brakes :LOL:

So, you have a steep techie section. How do you go down it?

With canti's you roll into it with the brakes on and brake all the way down, suffering arm pump as you go.

With discs you have much more power and modulation. You apply a dab here and there quickly scrubbing off speed as and when you need it. They also inspire more confidence which helps you relax more. It all combines to getting down the hill faster.

In general terms, as Velo said you can also brake much later. You know those brakes are going to stop you much faster so you can also push harder off the brakes.

On a race car, effective brakes are worth more in terms of lap times that an engine with 60-70bhp more than an identical car. Back in my rallying days, I didn't have as much money as all the guys I was up against. I could not afford to spend £20,000 on the latest engine, but by spending £2,000 on the best brakes and suspension I was just as quick with a home built budget motor.

If proof were needed, look at a DH racer. His job is to get down the hill as fast as possible. Would he build up his bike with rim brakes?

kaiser":vb8d8cax said:
I wasn't really looking for an answer :twisted: :LOL:
Aye he already knows the answer and I think he pretty much agrees with you Si - don't feed der troll.

I re-read the 'when did things start to go wrong' thread on Sunday, some pretty good points from both camps and good discussion (in amongst the luddite ravings) :LOL:

Got up at the usual 7.30 this am. Had my porridge and coffee and then went and plastered a 5x4m ceiling over the retro artex :LOL: Fit for nothing now!

Odds and sods then varnished my new front door. Going to fit the front derr cable to the new bike and dig out some more stuff to sell.

kaiser":3o9p4e9n said:
Odds and sods then varnished my new front door. Going to fit the front derr cable to the new bike and dig out some more stuff to sell.

New door? Did you apply the varnish straight out of the tin
onto the bare wood?

RobMac":z5q9ah5z said:
kaiser":z5q9ah5z said:

onto the bare wood?

I gave it a rub down then wiped and applied the varnish.

RobMac wrote:
onto the bare wood?

Calm doon Rob, your not a superhero charged with the mission of saving DIY projects from the inept :LOL:

Dug my way through the paper on my desk and now realise that we have an overdue vet's bill, and that our Children's Tax Credit has stopped because of the form I didn't send back in July, which was buried a bit deeper.

There is no upside :cry:

Back