Brodie Catalyst

mfh126":3at6934b said:
That Brodie is a sweet frame, one that you don't see often. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product!

I think you need to make some room in your garage now. How about selling me the '94 EWR? My E-Motion needs a brother. :cool: ;)

Nah, he should send me the Avalanche! :LOL:

utahdog2003":1kqeg14s said:
a warning to all you guys powder coating steel frames. Water creeps under powder coating and the frame rusts and you can't see it. Watch your powder coated steel frames carefully for rust and fix it if you see it

Would this be just cause to choose paint over powdercoat for steel?

Only asking because during the Winter months I hope to be getting a steel frame repainted/powdercoated. . .

Loving this thread, incidentally.. and now I'll get email updates :cool:

The benefits of powder coating still stand, it is darn hard stuff. But, that said, it you chip through it, then touch it up with something, anything, to seal the chip.

Teaser. :cool:

After this picture it got a light sanding, because I'm not doing this in a booth you will get dust. Then I gave it another two coats. It is drying now. 48 hours, including a few hot afternoons in the sunshine, and then I'll polish it up with 3M compound and apply the stickers. :D

Then i'll build it and with my luck take it out and crash it on a rocky hill. :shock:

Attachments

• IMG_5904small.JPG
    IMG_5904small.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 2,118
utahdog2003":2jag1fh8 said:
Powder coating absolutely flakes right off when you use Permatex Gasket Remover. The Permatex part number is 80646 (NAPA part number is 765-1230), and it comes in a 12 oz can. You can strip a frame with one can and there is NO SCRAPING! WOOHOO!

Only works on powder coating. Don't waste your time with a painted frame. For that I like Jasco or Blitz strippers for big tough jobs, but only if Citristrip fails to work. Jasco will eat the meat from your bones. Wear gloves and a mask.

Two coats of paint applied and another two to go, then I'll rub it out with compound and add my stickers. It looks great and I'm excited. :D

utahdog2003":2jag1fh8 said:
One more thing...there is a 'new' Permatex Gasket Remover, part number 80645, and it WILL NOT remove powder coating. You must use 80646. Be warned! :D

Good stuff; thanks for taking the time to post that. Will definitely make use of it. :cool:

I don't think you can call that "done" quite yet -- you're still missing a few parts. :LOL: ;)

The frame looks great -- nice work. I wish I was that skilled with paint! :)

Back