Bikesoup.co.uk FREE ADVERTS for rb members until 17 DEC

john

The Guv’nor
Admin
Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Bikesoup is a new UK bike specific marketplace for buying & selling, new & used bicycles. The website is programmed with cycle specific software that has been designed with ease of use as its primary goal.

Not only can Bikesoup help you find a used bicycle but it can help you find a new one too. Bikesoup is an efficient resource that will allow you to search the nationwide independent bike dealer network through one simple search function.

As well as buying and selling bikes Bikesoup offer discounted insurance and shipping services through their partners.

To see what an advert looks like click here.

To celebrate the launch, Bikesoup have teamed up with retrobike to offer a free taster for private sellers – simply visit www.bikesoup.co.uk, upload your bikes for sale, enter the voucher code - RETROBIKE17DEC - & sell you bike.

Any feedback please comment here.

Looks like a very clean site, fairly easy to navigate.

But I would have to ask is it fulfilling an unmet need? In my eyes if I want to by vintage or retro bikes then I am more than happy to use this site or the cycling specific section of ebay as they both offer comprehensive feedback systems for both buyers and sellers.

Without that protection I will only buy things in person rather than unseen and so that means that I will only use local ads such as the local rag or gumtree. If I want to buy a new bike then I will only buy from LBS or from a reputable mail order site such as CRC.

So while it looks nice, it doesn't really answer any unresolved issues in the used bike world. It could all too soon become another http://www.oldschoolmtbclassifieds.com/ which was a great idea but didn't do anything that ebay, VRC or RB classifieds did.

A far stronger approach is something like: http://bike.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/bike.cgi that allows the simoultaneous search of ebay and CL in the US. This is a great tool that saves a bit of time, so maybe a UK version that mashes ebay, gumtree, any free ads, recycled, RB classified etc would really add value

just searched all used mens bikes with no other search options and only 2 come um despite there being more on the slide show on the front page?

It's a very new site so there are only 50 odd bikes on there at the moment and most based down in Hove (where the site owner is from) so I feel that it's being built up from a grass roots approach. I guess that's why theres the free offer so people get in there and start listing!

It also might help Bikesoup if he stopped trawling the classified for things to buy, or posting on ebay watch for things he's selling and actually got involved in this site a little.
The smash and grab approach of only hovering around the classifieds is no way to endear yourself to people on this site, try giving something back once in a while like introducing yourself, telling us about the bikes you ride, or just doing the things that everyone else does on this site!

Well I've used the free ad to list a bike. Will see what response I get. Did however manage to upload my photos appallingly, for no known reason. Look fine on photobucket and on my harddrive, and they uploaded as if they were taken by a camera phone in the fog.

I'd rather sell to where I know it goes to a good home, but it looks a lot more user friendly then pinkbike, and that always seems to be used so good luck to them.

Is it a known user on here with a project or just someone who has approached the site?

I guess a couple of points in the thread above were directed at myself so will respond.

I think the site is a good idea and well laid out. If the site gets sufficent interest and listings I see no reason for it not to be successful.

The owner is registered on here and approached me with regards to promoting bikesoup.

Well, if it means less use of Ebay then we will all benefit.

Good luck with it I say.

Hows about an open invitation to Bikesoup to pop on to this thread and tell us a bit more?

Why we should use it, why we should trust it, why he set it up, who is he, what is his interest in bikes and this site (other than solely loitering around the classifieds)? Come on Bikesoup, man up and introduce yourself, it's far easier to win new customers by using the personal touch.

This is not a 'having a go' post, just a 'having a dig' as I hate seeing this site exploited by those who only want to get what they want out of it and not add anything back and so the onus is on Bikesoup to prove he's a full on retro broth and not a cheapskate cuppasoup. :D

Invitation Accepted!

In terms of filling people in with where, what, who, why etc... I think that the blog on Bikesoup should answer most questions - http://blog.bikesoup.com/

Bikesoup was set up to be a credible, affordable, bike specific trading platform. The advert pricing is about 25% of ebay et al & our buyer security is promoted via billing at advert submission. How many thieves will be handing their debit & credit card number over? A debit / credit card ties someone to an address.

As the site grows we will keep updating the guides section to better inform buyers & sellers alike.

Like most people I use ebay & one of the things that really wears me out (apart from the end of month invoice) is the amount of pointless communication. I'm really hoping that Bikesoup users will pick up the phone to asses a seller & his wares. But email etc... is still an option.

As a company, our development will be software based providing solutions to other bike related entities - be it forums like Retrobike, ACT or bike manufacturers. The website will be continually upgraded to improve the user experience.

I'm quite flattered by my 'loitering' tag....... Just like everyone on here I love bikes & picking up new parts, and seeing what's for sale etc.... I take on board the 'get involved' hint & I've been proactive in having a clear out this PM.

For the last 8 months I have been up to my ears in programming, design & development. Hence, part of my job is choosing a direction for Bikesoup & observing how the bike community functions.

In terms of possible exploitation, I have an agreement with John that considers a launch period for Bikesoup & an ongoing benefit for Retrobike as a whole. Whilst it's early days for Bikesoup, much of what I am working on at the moment will provide tangible benefit for all forum members.

Cuppasoup or Retrobroth??? Who knows.... I've got a genuine passion for quality bikes & my flat is peppered with all things bike. Some of them I picked up to give Bikesoup a credible launch boost. Others I ride all the time & will move on when I stop using or get bored with, just like everyone else.

If anyone has any comment or ideas on how Retrobike & Bikesoup can develop in a particular direction then please drop John or me a line.

Eg. coming on line next week will be a forum membership function where you can select any forum memberships & that will show up on the Bieksoup advert when published. The hope is that it drives more traffic to Retrobike, increases loyalty & gives buyers e better feeling of security in buying from an enthusiast. And plenty more in the pipeline also....

Now, how do I get more than 4 pictures on an advert? :?

Cheers,

Antony - aa@bikesoup.co.uk

Thanks for that Antony! Welcome, not a cuppasoup in sight now by my reckoning!

Back