the one and only 1989 raleigh MOONSHINE my uncle owned

cannondale king

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
this was the bike that kind of started all moutain bikeing off for me my unle simon was into bikes and always gaveme hand me down stuff and sort my bikes out when he came to stay when i was little then with work and stuff he hardly came down then he moved to south london and worked long hours when i hit 13 i was just getting into my own bike scene with trials biking and racing with mates on the bmx course on my trials bike and xc here and there on a ropey thing i had that summer in 97 changed everything when i went to pymouth with my dad and uncle simon me and dad went to watch simon race and he was on this bike i wanted that bike badly and over the years he's been saying il bring up one day soon and you can have the old girl well this weekend he brought it up for me :D :shock: :D :D and she is mine

the groupset is a complete m739/m740 group with m737 hubs laced laced to mavic 217 cd rims and iv'e gotta say it does ride all right for an old girl here's some starter pics :cool:

Attachments

• Picture 001 (Large) (1).jpg
    Picture 001 (Large) (1).jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 2,165
  • Picture 002 (Large) (1).jpg
    Picture 002 (Large) (1).jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 2,165
  • Picture 003 (Large) (1).jpg
    Picture 003 (Large) (1).jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 2,164
  • Picture 004 (Large) (1).jpg
    Picture 004 (Large) (1).jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 2,165
more pics

im planning to clean her down and give her a new cable set and chain the cassette is still good as simon changed it but not the chain before storing her might have to get a big ring as well :shock: :shock: :shock: thats gonna be hard for this chainset but hay ho but i cant believe she finally mine hoot hoot :D :D :D :D :D

Attachments

• Picture 006 (Large).jpg
    Picture 006 (Large).jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 2,152
  • Picture 007 (Large) (1).jpg
    Picture 007 (Large) (1).jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 2,152
  • Picture 008 (Large) (1).jpg
    Picture 008 (Large) (1).jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 2,152
  • Picture 010 (Large) (1).jpg
    Picture 010 (Large) (1).jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 2,152
last pics

Attachments

• Picture 011 (Large) (1).jpg
    Picture 011 (Large) (1).jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 2,150
  • Picture 009 (Large) (1).jpg
    Picture 009 (Large) (1).jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 2,150
Has the orange faded to pink now or is it just the flash? Mate had one of these BITD but managed to fold the frame coming of on a downhill section. Dates a bit later than 1989. I think these were 1991 or 1992. Still a handbuilt 531 Raleigh lightweight is a rare thing to have these days.

Carl.

Lovely bike, should look great once you've claened her up. BTW, have you got any Green Triangles left in your Quality Street tin? ;)

A bit of TLC and that will look like new. the toffee fingers are my fav Quality Street tin :D
before i gave up eating chocolate

cheers guys im gonna clean her up in 10 mins then get some daylight pics :cool:

and sorry no chocs last longer than ten min's in my house as the mother eats them as soon as they arrive :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I have the little brother(gate size) to yours, Raleigh Thunder road, Paint is black main tubes with Flor Green bits, in the process of rebuilding into seven speed. I had a thunder road at 16 and lusted after the Moonshine,
Good luck with the build

Mick

Latest posts

Back