NEW! RetroBike Tip of the Month!!!

How about any tips on removing rust from front derailure? On the outside where sweaty leg rubs against it. Thanks

Here's my tip if you've not got any money spare or don't want to spend anyhting don't go in the for sale section and look at anything Jez has posted or you'll find yourself swearing because he's nearly always got something nice that you'd like lol.

To remove rust I'd assume but of fine grade sand paper if its only surface rust, and then polish up with some auotsyl or metal polish of your choice.

Oh and for polishing something like a aluminium frame don't give yourself tired arms go and buy a car polisher you can get em for about 15 quid and will save you a lot of hard work, then just finish off the little bits you couldn't get too with it by hand

Here's a tip I just learned the hard way. When undoing the damper end cap of Manitou Mach 5SX forks don't forget to remove the main spring first, otherwise you will be greeted by a high pressure radial jet of 2.5wt fork oil all over you and your workshop!! :oops:

If you gash the sidewall of a tyre and it has not gone all the way through save it by backing it with a patch of old innertube, superglued to the inside of the tyre, and then super glue the split. Leave over night and it will cure the tyre in 90% of cases.

Improve your crappy canti brakes by cleaning the rim with windowlene, then wipe off most of it but leave a small amount of residue that will help your brake blocks bite.

Something i used to do was put tyres in dishwasher to clean and the gloss them up with wd40 or something similar, just make sure the dinner dishes and the wife or mother arent around at the time :p

Another good one for grips....

Hairspray! Spray it inside the grips and slide 'em on, you've got about 20 seconds before the hairspray sets and you go from slippy slidy to stuck tight!

The getting off can be done using the hot water method...

Back