Come on, let's drag our old bikes the length of the country

I think we would have to be pragmatic with this. There are certain sections that would be boring to ride and impossible to do completely off road and therefore should be skipped. But if we did lots of sections without too many gaps it would still be a cool adventure.
We would have to engage all the Area Groups along the route and get them to plan routes on their own patch, but I think it is do-able.
We need to get cracking though as its will take a good 6-8 months of weekends and day offs to complete. We should look toward a start at easter and a finish around this time next year to make the most of good weather etc?

Practicallities aside, we should avoid skipping sections. Give the boring bits as far as off roading is concerned to the roadies. They'll be happy blasting down tarmac ;)

Shetland was because as thereal... is on Orkney anyway, I though it'd be nice for completeness sake. Also I rather like the northern isles and thus it was just an excuse :roll:

An iconic 'baton' might be NWA's Monkee of Hope :LOL:

velomaniac":1yak8ikp said:
Practicallities aside, we should avoid skipping sections. Give the boring bits as far as off roading is concerned to the roadies. They'll be happy blasting down tarmac ;)

Shetland was because as thereal... is on Orkney anyway, I though it'd be nice for completeness sake. Also I rather like the northern isles and thus it was just an excuse :roll:

An iconic 'baton' might be NWA's Monkee of Hope :LOL:

One of my concerns is that you have areas with no active RB members. Getting someone to drive a fair distance just to ride a bland section will be akin to herding cats again. At least if the sections are interesting we might get volunteers to help out?

I have a wee motor and lots of spare time being a sad old batchelor so within Scotland at least I'd try and fill in the bland sections. A good excuse to get out on the bike :)

A wee suggestion on how to do this.
For the sections that directly link, take a photo of your bike at a distinctive start point and end point and post it up in the thread. The riders for the next section when they can schedule it in take a photo of their bike at the same location as the previous riders end point and so on until the final destination is reached :D

What is the road/off road rules for this? There are lots of bits here where if you are not on the road you are in the sea, and any off-road sections are at right angles to the direction you want to go.

Is it acceptable to merely cover the distance on road on a old bike with knobbly tyres (or my uniiversal semi-slick Mach SSs)?

Where in Orkney do you want me to start, or should I wait for Velo to come down from Lerwick? I'll probably be up there for Up Helly Aa, if you want a dramatic 2011 start! I should also point out that from Muckle Flugga to the ferry in Lerwick is 63 miles, or to the plane at Sumburgh is 88 miles...

I think the plan is classic Lejog so the islands are out :roll:

You and maybe Jamie Dyer thus could do leg one from John'O'Groats to wherever.

Problem is, as I see it, is a shortage of retrobikers in the North, we'll need to draft in Aberdonians.

I'm happy to get myself to various places to try and keep the route linked up.

Plenty time to plan if the start time is Easter 2011 ;)

I'm happy to do it all (on road) if anyone is up for it! I've revised my April/May timescale because of the Scottish Elections though, as my wife is the SNP candidate for here, and might be wanting some support...

Latest posts

Back