Weightwatchers ???

DMW

Dirt Disciple
Are you a weightwatcher?

Not the calorie type written on the side of so called health foods!

On my travels around the various websites whilst reserching information on my new xizang, especially on the continent there seems to be a trend of upgrading classic frames with the lightest modern components around to get the overall weight of the complete bike as low as possible.

Although this maybe considered a sin as straying from the original as built specification, however some of the modern lightweight components in my opinion do look very contemporary.

So my question is, how would this be received on this site? Let me know!

DMW

Think there's a thread along similar lines posted up already. Personally think an old school frame (especially one a xizang quality) with new school parts looks pretty sharp. If it's to be ridden then why not. My main ride is a '97 frame with (mostly) newer (but not especially lightweight) parts.

New on old

Totally agree. If I had unlimited funds I'd keep my retro as the makers intended and also own a modern bike. As it's my only ride it gets the best new stuff I can afford and ridden much more often because if it.

depends whether your fussed about keeping it period.

I would rather have a classic well used than a showpiece on the wall, if this means some new bits, I would do it.

Some of the older stuff was pretty light though - my 'modern' bike is no lighter than my old altitude was, but has a touch more travel and brakes that work :D

Back