advice on bulb freehub

hesdownagain

Old School Hero
hello. one of the pawl springs has broken inside the freebub which has scored the free hub where it goes into the hub body. i had thought that i will need to buy a new freehub. it seems the bulb hub is no longer around. i have tried all the major outlets with no luck. i can get a set of pawls and springs but with the scoring on the freehub i'm a little concered that i will be wasting my money. can i get away with the scoring??.there are 5 vertical lines between where the springs/paws go almost as if they are supposed to be there. i have looked at pictures of freehubs and there are no vertical lines on them. sorry to waffle on any help please.

If you post pictures of what you mean I may be able to tell you.

Well if the bulb freehub is the a same as the one on the XC/Mono/Sport and Ti-Glide anyway.

So pictures as I cannot get a mental pictures of it, the pawls dont cost much though if you do have the springs. I think wiggle sell them without springs

hi, thanks for the reply. the problem is my lady is away for the day and has taken the camera. the freehub off the bulb looks the same as the xc from the pictures i have seen. the scoring is on the part of the freehub that's between where the pawls fit,so it's the part that goes inside the hub thats fixed to the wheel. you cannot get the springs any more from wiggle. i have found a outlet that has a couple of both pawls and springs. as i said the scoring is 5 vertical lines almost like it's ment to be there. i may just live on the edge and order a set. i can't buy a freehub any more so if it does not work i will end up having to scrap the whole thing..

On the ratchet ring in the main hub body ?

Wiggle still have 3 sets of just the pawls though.
and I think ukbikestore and rush cycles have some

youd be suprised how much damage a hope hub will take and is still perfectly useable. the ratchet ring is made of cromoly steel (i think, its some hard steel anyway) and can be replaced but the wheel/hub would really need to go to a GOOD bike shop or back to hope to have the old one removed and the new one put in. the freehub body on a bulb was made of titanium, and do break, but are very unlikely to wear out. they show hairline cracks , and it is then that you may not need to replace it, but certainly keep an eye on it. they are still available from hope, a good bike shop would be able to order it.

as i said, i would be suprised if you need to replace the ratchet ring, they are very tough. just get the pawls and springs and enjoy.

hi. used dremel to get rid of burr's and fitted new pawls and spings. through grease on it and banged it back in. works fine.. hope gear!!! well what can you say other than it's built to last. thanks for all the input... dave.

Latest posts

Back